Chapter 17

Percy watched as Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny followed the rest of the crowd of the students. Percy had, unluckily, joined the teacher's team. The students walked out to the grounds, which had changed dramatically. According to McGonagall, it was as it had been when they had changed for the Triwizard Tournament, with the hedges growing all over the quidditch pitch.

Percy turned to the teachers again, who were grouped around the bottom of the stairs. "Where are we hiding the flag?"

The teachers looked over at him, more or less looking unimpressed. "We were brainstorming trials of sorts to make the flag harder to... capture. So far we have-"

"Wait," Percy interrupted. "You're going with that trial stuff? Like you did with the sorcerer's stone or whatever? You do know that three children were able to get past that, right?"

The teachers exchanged looks. "We think it is the best course of action, if we want to help the students learn."

"The whole purpose of this is to help them with their physical strength and quick thinking. Riddles and magical obstacle courses won't do that," Percy explained, though he was met with sighs.

"Listen, Mr. Jackson, we understand you're a professor. However, we just have more... experience with these sorts of things," Madam Hooch said, and Percy threw his arms up in exasperation.

He didn't know if this was something to do with his age, or if the professors didn't know about his past with fighting titans and giants and making Mount St. Hellens blow up, or if they knew and didn't think he was good enough. Whatever it was, he didn't need or want it.

"Listen, I'm the expert here. I'm the one conducting this entire event. At least let me give you advice," Percy said, trying to reason with the teachers.

"We understand you know this game best, but we know the students better. We can get a win if we set trials," Professor Sinistra, and there were various sounds of agreement.

Percy glanced at Professor McGonagall who was watching from the back of the group. She didn't give away any sign of helping Percy out. He sighed, "fine, go ahead. If you want me to do a trial, I've already got something in mind."

With that, Percy began ignoring everything the professors had to say.

✱✱✱

Fifteen minutes later, red sparks flew high in the air from McGonagall's wand. The game had begun.