Chapter 4

"HARRY!!! What's taking you so long?" came Hermione's voice, banging on his and Ron's door. It was September first, finally, and they had of course left the packing to the day of.

"It's a little hard to concentrate on packing when someone is constantly pounding on the door, Hermione!" was Ron's response.

"Well, hurry up, you two! We're leaving for the train in 15 minutes!" yelled Ginny, who had apparently joined Hermione in shouting at her boyfriend.

Harry and Ron feverishly threw their clothes and books into their trunks haphazardly. They ran down the stairs, dragging their trunks behind them, and Mrs. Weasley ushered them out the doors.

"Into the car, we're on a tight schedule!" she said, levitating both of their trunks into the trunk, while still somehow holding Teddy in one arm. She sat in the front seat and told the driver they were all ready to go.

Even though it was physically impossible, they were at the station in 5 minutes. When they got to Platform 9 ¾, they saw Percy Jackson wandering around, looking helpless.

Harry didn't know what to think about Percy. He was kind, but he was also American. He considered him a friend. He was funny and sarcastic, he'd learned that much at least, but he also seemed like a leader. Like Harry. Against his better instincts, he did trust the guy.

"Hey, mate, what's up?" Ron asked, approaching Percy.

"Where the heck is platform 9 ¾? Everyone here isn't helping, and I'm lost." Percy said, cluelessly.

"Oh, you have to run in between platforms 9 and 10. See, I'll show you," Ginny piped up, and she then ran directly at the wall. Right before she was about to make impact, she disappeared, and Percy gaped at the magical wall. He then grinned, and ran right after her.

Ron and Harry followed, and when they got to the other side they found an empty compartment on the train (Percy joining because he didn't know anyone else). They ran back down to Mrs. Weasley and Teddy, Percy staying on the train.

"See you, mum," Ron said, bending down and kissing his mother on the cheek.

"Bye mum, I love you," Ginny followed, hugging and kissing her.

Harry hugged her and said goodbye to Teddy, but not before making sure that Mrs. Weasley was going to be alright with watching him.

"Alright, enough dears, you need to catch the train before it leaves!" She said, pushing them all to the train, wiping away a tear.

"Bye Mrs. Weasley!" Hermione called out, waving out the window once they'd boarded the train. There was a lurch, and they started moving, gaining more and more speed until eventually everything passing them was a blur.

Ginny left to join her friends, and Harry, Ron, and Hermione were left in a compartment with Percy.

"So, tell us more about your camp. It sounds fascinating, sorting wizards into cabins based on their best performed magic, did you say?" clarified Hermione.

"Yeah, it's awesome there. We go during the summer, and then we have a chance at going to normal schools with mortals. The cabins are sorted out by gods, so if your good with plants, you live in the Demeter cabin with your 'siblings'. Our classes are with our cabins, and we have to wake up at the crack of dawn, but it's the best place ever."

"You said 'mortals'. Is that what Americans call muggles?" Ron wondered.

"Uh, yeah," Percy said, sounding almost unsure. "What about your school? What's it like. I know about the uh, houses? and the lake, and other stuff, vaguely."

"It's the actual best place ever. The houses are Gryffindor, the brave ones, Hufflepuff, the kind ones, Ravenclaw, the wise/clever ones, and Slytherin, the evil ones," Ron summed up.

"Ron," Hermione scolded, "not all Slytherins are evil. And their house traits aren't just 'they're evil', they're ambitious and cunning. And by the way Percy, those are just the stereotypical views of all the houses."

"Got it," Percy said, nodding. "So what about the classes? What do you learn over here?"

"Probably the same as you. Transfiguration, charms, potions, defense against the dark arts," Harry explained, but was cut off by Ron.

"I wonder who the DADA teacher will be? They get a new one every year, say it's a curse by Voldemort, but I bet the curse'll have lifted because he died." With this, Ron fist bumped Harry.

The conversation switched to quidditch between Ron and Harry, and Hermione read her book. Percy seemed deep in thought, gazing out the window and bouncing his leg.

Hours passed, and eventually they all had to change into their robes.

"No way am I wearing those," Percy protested, "I don't even have any. I'm an exchange student, I shouldn't have to."

Harry and Ron complained, that 'If they had to, then he should have to too,' but gave up eventually, letting Percy off free.

They rounded a corner and Hogwarts came into view. It had been restored to its full beauty since last year, and it was just as breathtaking as it had been the first time Harry had seen it. There was a gasp from Percy, and Harry looked over to see Percy's eyes wide.

"That's super cool. Man, what my girlfriend would do to see this..."

"Girlfriend?" Ron inquired, raising his eyebrows. Percy just nodded and continued to stare out the window at the massive castle.

The train came to a stop, and they all grabbed their trunks with difficulty. They excluded themselves from their compartment and out of the train, and the familiar call of "FIRS' YEARS! FIRS' YEARS, THIS WAY," could be heard above all the chatter and confusion.

"Hagrid!" Harry yelled, and Hagrid turned around in time for Harry to attack him with a hug. Harry was so relieved to see he was alright and still working at Hogwarts.

"Harry! 'Ow was yer summer?"

"It was splendid Hagrid, I have to go, but I'll join you for tea later!" Harry yelled, running back to his friends.

"Who was that?" Percy asked, looking over at Hagrid.

"An old friend, Hagrid. He was the one to tell me I was a wizard when I was eleven," replied Harry, leading everyone to the carriages lead by the thestrals. Percy looked confused when he saw the thestrals, who seemed to be more rousey than previous years.

"What are those?" Percy asked, gesturing to the skeletal horses.

"You can see them?"

"Of course I can, why? Should I not be able to?"

"Well... you can only see them if you've seen death. They're called thestrals."

Percy just nodded in understanding and said "oh." He took a breath and hopped up into one of the carriages. Harry secretly wondered who he'd seen die.

The ride mainly consisted of Percy still peering at Hogwarts, Ron and Harry talking about the quidditch team for this year, and Hermione re-reading Hogwarts: A History.