Chapter 5

What Annabeth wouldn't give to see this castle. He knew Hogwarts was going to be big and a castle, but he didn't know it was going to be like this. This was huge, and way more beautiful than anything he'd imagined. True, it wasn't as amazing as Olympus, but Olympus was A) the literal home of the gods, and was B) designed by Annabeth.

The carriages (which were being drawn by thestrals that were each individually begging him to sit in their cart) dropped them off at the entrance, and they walked with the crowd into the Great Hall.

When Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione all went to the Gryffindor table, Percy just stood in the entrance, not knowing where to go. He was saved by a small man coming up beside him and asking, "Perseus Jackson, exchange student?" in a squeaky voice. Percy nodded, and he was led to a smaller room.

"I am Professor Fllitwick. You will stay in here until you're summoned. Then you will enter the Great Hall to be sorted," the tiny guy, 'Professor Flitwick', said, then left.

"Wait," Percy protested, confused and almost nervous. He was in a giant castle, shoved in a room, waiting to hear his name be called and then was going to be sorted into one of the houses.

What felt like a thousand years later, but was realistically probably only about 10, maybe 15 minutes, he heard a woman's voice.

"This year, we have a special student, all the way from America. He will be staying here this year, in an exchange program. He will also be one of your teachers, so I advise you to be kind to him."

Wait, WHAT? TEACHER? Percy thought, HE HAD NOT BEEN INFORMED ABOUT THIS.

"Perseus Jackson," the voice called out, and he opened the door and was faced with the eyes of the entire school on him. "Sit on the stool for your sorting," said the woman the voice belonged to. She was holding an old looking hat and gestured towards a stool.

He sat, and the woman placed the hat on his head. A different voice entered his mind, as if there was someone whispering in his ear.

Ohhh, a demigod, are you? I haven't had one of your kind in several several years.

WHAT THE HECK, Percy thought, kind of creeped out.

Don't be creeped out, said the voice. I just need to have a peek into your mind to sort you, that's all.

YEAH, AND THAT'S NOT CREEPY? Percy asked the voice in his head.

Hmmm... the voice hummed, ignoring Percy's question. You're loyal, that's for sure. Very loyal. Also smart, smarter than people realize. But bravery, yes. I think you'd do rather well in- "GRYFFINDOR!!!" The voice shouted for the assemblage to hear. There was a chorus of claps and a few cheers, and Percy stood up.

"Welcome to Hogwarts, Perseus Jackson. You can either sit with the rest of the teachers at the staff table, or you can sit with your house," the woman (Professor McGonagall, he soon learned) said.

"Yeah, about that. I was not informed that I would be doing any teaching, so..." Percy said. Professor McGonagall scowled.

"Well, it's too late to find another teacher, so I'm sorry Mr. Jackson, but you'll have to take the position."

"What subject am I even teaching?"

"Defense Against the Dark Arts," McGonagall answered, and by this time the whole school was listening to their conversation. To this, there was a low hum of mumbles.

"I think I'd like to sit with my house," Percy said, and promptly turned away from McGonagall and sat in between Harry and Ron.

"Thank you all for waiting, now, without any further ado, dig in." With this, McGonagall waved her wand and the empty dishes before them filled with loads of food. Of course, there was no pizza, no cheeseburgers, and no blue cookies.

"So, you're going to be teaching us?" Inquired Ginny.

"Apparently. I just wish they'd at least told me that I was going to be teaching a bunch of-" Percy stopped himself. He was about to say 'wizards' but that would raise a considerable amount of questions, "a bunch of underaged wizards." He continued. He earned a few suspicious looks to this.

"Aren't you technically underaged too? How old are you?" Ron questioned.

"I suppose I am, I'm 17."

"You're younger than us!" Exclaimed Harry, giving a worried look, "You shouldn't be teaching, unless you're going to do what Umbridge did, and just assign readings and do nothing actual physical."

"I'll be fine. I don't, however, have any idea at what I should teach. We weren't taught many forms of magic at Camp Ha- Hecate." Percy silently scolded himself at the slip up.

"Wait, are you going to be taking classes then? If you're going to be teaching, you won't have any time to learn!" Hermione asked.

"I don't know. I guess not? I mean, that's fine by me! I don't have to do homework then, do I?" Percy confirmed, happy to see an upside.

After this, they started stuffing their faces with the weird food. Percy even tried some pumpkin juice, which he didn't like very much, but the point is that he tried it. Harry stopped mid-chew and glowered. He nudged Ron and pointed over to the Slytherin table.

"Look who showed up," he said. Percy looked over, but didn't see who they were looking at. It was just a table filled with kids in silver and green.

"Draco Malfoy. Harry's 'arch nemesis' since he first came here," Hermione provided, rolling her eyes slightly.

"What's so bad about him," Percy asked.

"He's a git. A snarky, stuck up, git," Ron said. Percy didn't really know what 'git' meant, but he assumed it was the equivilent of 'stupid annoying guy'. He just nodded and Harry and Ron continued to glare at Draco.

Dinner ended, and Percy just followed his group of new friends up to the Gryffindor common room. If he was supposed to sleep somewhere else, then oh well. He came to gain these people's trust, so he's going to do everything he can to do just that.

They arrived at a painting of a lady, and Hermione leaned over and explained that this was the Fat Lady and she guarded the common room.

"Gratissimum," said Ginny. Percy stifled a laugh. The others looked at him weirdly.

"You guys know that means 'welcome' in Latin, right? That's the most obvious password you could have, well, except for 'password'."

"You know Latin?" Harry asked, looking impressed. They stepped through the portrait hole and Percy nodded, coming up with a cover story as to why.

"It was um... a required course. I also know Greek, and I can read it better than English actually. I guess it just confuses my brain so much it's easier to learn," Percy shrugged. "Where's our luggage and stuff?"

"Up in the dorm rooms, here, I'll show you," said Harry. He lead them up some stairs and into a room with six four-poster beds, Percy's suitcase sitting on one of them. Percy wanted to IM Annabeth, but it was probably not the best time.

"So... what'd you want?" Harry asked. Percy looked at him, puzzled. "Why'd you want to come up here," Harry reworded.

"Oh, I just wanted to make sure I knew where it was and all that. So, um, who's in the other beds?" Percy answered,

"Neville Longbottom, Seamus Finnigan, and Dean Thomas. They're nice blokes, I think they're down in the common room."

Percy nodded and they headed back down the stairs.