Chapter 10

Harry, Ron, and Ginny came up to the dormitories after an intense match of quidditch against a few friendly Hufflepuffs and a Slytherin. They had split into teams of four, making there one of each player. Harry had been playing seeker against Ginny, and he was sheepish to say that he may or may not have gone easy on her and let her win.

Hermione was already at their usual table, looking eagerly through a few old newspapers when they walked in.

"Finally! Ron, Harry, I found something," Hermione pulled them over to the table, spreading out several newspapers and pointing at some headlines.

"Oooookay, what are these?" Ron asked, pulling a few of the newspapers closer to have a better look.

"Muggle newspapers. I found them deep in the library. Look at this one! Trenton Register-News. 'Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson,'" Hermione started to read, stressing Percy's name, "'wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago,' blah blah blah. Basically it says that Percy's stepdad had a cash reward for his capture, and he was traveling with two teens," Hermione explained.

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything. There are probably loads of kids named Percy Jackson," Harry said, faltering when he saw a picture underneath with an image of a kid that was no doubt a younger Percy.

"That's not all," Hermione said, picking up another. "There's this news report that was written down. It talks about this probable terrorist attack at the St. Louis Arch and a kid, matching Percy's description, fell 190 meters! (about 630 ft to all you fellow Americans)

"There's another report about this guy who was the actual kidnapper, bringing Percy cross-country from New York to California, ending in a gunfight between Percy and the kidnapper. And this was all when he was twelve."

"So... what's your point?" Ron asked after a long pause.

"I'm not completely sure, but what I do know is that something is off about him. More so than we thought before. This is way more than pretending to be something he's not, this is about him hiding his whole life."

✱TIME SKIP✱

"Explain," said Hermione.

It was after dark, and Percy had his class plans all spread out on a table. Hermione set, well, more like slammed, down the newspaper articles she had found earlier. Harry and Ron were by her sides.

Percy was obviously not expecting them to find these. He looked over them, spreading them out gently. He glanced up at the trio, "Where did you even find these?"

"They were hidden deep in the library. I had to scour through mounds of muggle newspapers. Now will you explain," Hermione demanded.

Percy let out a long exhale, once again glancing at the papers.

"I don't know what to tell you guys. I was a trouble kid, I was everywhere I shouldn't have been. I don't... didn't really follow the rules that much," Percy said, skipping around what seemed to be the big picture.

"But what about this," Hermione asked, holding a specific article about his disappearance a few months ago.

"I was kidnapped. Crazy aunt took me cross country, then I went on a class field trip around Europe. It wasn't my idea, I was just thrown into it," Percy explained.

"No," Harry said simply.

"What do you mean... no," Percy asked, confused, playing with a muggle pen.

"I'm not satisfied with the answers. Listen, you're a good guy, I trust you have reasonable explanations, but these aren't good enough. I want to have full faith in you but it's kinda hard when you're making it so difficult to know you," Harry said.

Percy took a deep breath, looking around the common room. "Are you guys sure there's nobody listening," Percy asked, looking serious.

"Almost completely positive," Hermione assured.

"I need a hundred percent sure," Percy said, looking her dead in the eye.

"I can cast a spell so no one can over hear us," Ron offered.

"That'll work," Percy nodded. As Ron muttered the spell, "Muffliato," Percy looked to be steeling himself.

"What is it," Harry asked, and Percy looked them all dead in the eyes.