Chapter 13

DAVIA

Everyone was busy and bustling around. The small town was decorated with colorful banners and flowers. Children are laughing, running, and playing around. Some played music with their own wooden instruments, some passing along, and some danced to the rhythm of the music.

Vendors selling different items at the side, shouting to gain customers with smiles on their faces. In the center of the town was a wide space where the brick ground was painted with sun and moon.

As I followed the music, laughter and music grew louder and louder. And somehow the music was enticing, and... familiar, dare I say. Obliviously, I was standing in the center, and my body moved, dancing with the music. The people around me clapped, cheered, and laughed.

A smile appeared on my lips as I continued to dance, pulling everyone around to join me. Surprisingly, I was enjoying and laughing as I danced with them. Men, women, children, and even elder people. A sense of familiarity and joy were slowly creeping into my heart.

Closing my eyes as I feel the music surging into my body. A generous slug of comfort and security, like I belong here... like I was... Home. As the music stopped, I slowly opened my eyes, and everyone was looking at me with wide smiles on their lips and happiness in their eyes. The children clapped their hands and cheerfully cheered for me.

Calming my rapid breath, an elder approached me and carefully took my hand.

"You've suffered enough for us, our lady."

Furrowing my eyebrows, baffled at what she said.

"M-my lady? Me?" I questioned, pointing to myself.

The elder laughed and gently placed her hand on my face, her thumb caressing my cheeks.

"We are always here for you no matter what, my lady."

The children closed in, running and surrounding me, their tiny hands hugging my legs. A chuckle escapes my lips as I pat their heads.

"My lady, when will you return?"

"When will you visit us again?"

"When will we play again?"

"We miss you already, our lady. Come back to us."

"You promised us."

As the voices entangled with each other, gasping as a hand landed on my shoulder. Jolting at the sudden touch, turning around. A man clad in cream tunic and a pair of black trousers was standing in front of me. But I can't clearly see his face.

"Gah... So, you've finally come here. Took you damn long enough, my lady." He muttered, a teasing tone in his voice, "I missed you."

Longing... longing was now in his voice.

"You still owe me a drink, you know." He added, "I've been waiting with them, my lady. When will you come back?"

"Who are you?" I asked.

A chuckle escaped his lips.

"Ah... You still have the worst memory, I see." He replied and laughed, "Never changed." shaking his head.

"Who are you?" I repeated, tears streaming down my cheeks.

"You know, that was the first thing you asked me," He said, stepping forward and slowly covering my eyes with his hands, "Your eyes may be deceived and your mind may not remember, but your heart will never forget."

A sob escaped my lips as I felt his thumb wiping my cheeks.

"I gave you my oath to protect you always. I vow that no matter where you are, I will always find and keep you away from harm. I will not let you suffer, even a little bit. My friend. My savior. My lady."