Chapter 15

As I stepped out of my car, there he stood, Frederick with a smug smile standing in front of the door with Lynn on his left. Without a second thought, I let my palm meet his cheek with a resounding slap. Frederick's smile vanished instantly as our eyes locked, his obsidian gaze meeting mine with a mix of surprise and anger.

"What was that earlier?" I questioned, my voice seething with frustration, teeth gritted in anger.

His eyes changed before my very eyes, turning from obsidian to a haunting shade of crimson red, like blood pooling in his irises. Anger brewing into those devilish eyes boring into mine. He was mad, and I couldn't care less. 

"Don't make me mad at you, Via." he murmured, a warning tone creeping into his voice.

I scoffed at his attempt to intimidate me, "I went out for a while, Frederick. I am free to go wherever I want. Don't forget that we're only doing this together for revenge. You don't really own me. We don't have that kind of relationship." I retorted, not backing down.

Without waiting for his response, I turned on my heels and stormed off, leaving him behind with his fiery eyes still fixed on me.

Once I was inside my room, I leaned against a wall, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. My hand instinctively reached for the ring on my finger. Frustration overwhelmed me, and I quickly removed the ring, placing it on the bedside table.

I needed some space, some time alone to clear my head. My feet carried me towards the stables, where my trusted horse awaited. I mounted the horse, feeling the familiar connection between us, and then urged him into a gallop.

We continued riding until I felt the need to pause and gather my thoughts. Dismounting, I carefully tied the horse's reins to a nearby tree, knowing he'd stay there patiently. Lying on the cool grass, I gazed up at the night sky, the stars twinkling like distant beacons of hope.

I reached out my hand towards the stars, but as I did, a sharp groan escaped my lips, and I clutched my head, feeling the relentless pounding of a headache. Closing my eyes as I let the pain succumb me into the darkness.

I couldn't believe my eyes as I saw him fall to the ground, a deadly wound staining his side. Blood escaped his mouth, but he mustered a faint smile despite the excruciating pain.

"Don't cry. We knew the risks, didn't we?" he managed to ask, his voice filled with both pain and love.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I gripped my sword tighter, my heart breaking at the sight of him kneeling, his strength ebbing away but his resolve unshaken.

Summoning all his strength, he took a deep breath and planted his sword into the ground, bowing his head in a gesture of determination and loyalty.

"On bended knee, I swear to protect and follow Davia Bazin, though it may cost my life. I shall serve faithfully and with honor, forever. I give my oath by the symbol of this sword and my soul," he declared solemnly.

I wanted to protest, to tell him that he didn't have to do this, that I couldn't bear to lose him. But he silenced me with a gentle shake of his head, his eyes reflecting a profound sense of purpose, and I understood that this was his choice, his sacrifice for me.

A weak smile tugged at his lips, and he spoke again, "You were always meant for greatness. It's an honor to stand by your side until the end."

His words struck me like a dagger to the heart, a testament to the unwavering bond we shared. I reached out to him, my hand trembling, but he held up his hand to stop me, reassuring me that he was at peace with his decision.