Chapter 16

I was engrossed in my office work when a gentle knock interrupted my focus. My secretary ushered in a visitor or visitors, and to my surprise, it was none other than Peter Parker, accompanied by Claude. A smile instantly spread across my face, especially when Claude's head peeked through Peter's legs, announcing his presence with a joyful shout.

"Via!" Claude exclaimed, running towards me. Chuckling, I opened my arms to welcome him, settling him comfortably on my lap.

"Howdy, champ?" I greeted, my eyes widening as he hugged me tightly.

"I miss you," he whispered, holding me even tighter.

"I miss you too," I replied, glancing at Peter. "Take a seat."

Peter smiled and settled into a chair, making himself at home as he observed my office.

"Are you stalking me, young man?" I teased, smirking at him.

"I followed you," Claude admitted, prompting a furrowed brow from me.

Turning to Peter, I asked, "Did they know you went here?" Peter innocently shook his head, flashing a smile.

Sighing, I looked back at Claude. "Because I wanted to give you something," he interjected before I could say anything. "I like your hair," he added, handing me a wrapped package.

As I unwrapped it, my eyes widened at the sight of a clear resin ring filled with gold flakes and dried flower petals. Memories flooded back instantly into my mind.

"I made that the other day. We had an activity where Sister EL said to think about a gift for someone dear to us. The first person who came to my mind was you."

"It's not perfect, but I remembered what you said about simplicity being beautiful, as long as it comes from the heart. I'll give you a real ring someday, a gold one with lots of diamonds and stones. An expensive one."

Back in the present, Claude touched my face, and a smile lingered on his face. "I'm still saving money. If you can wait, I'll give you a real one someday."

Gulping, I smiled and replied, "I will accept anything you give me, whether it's the most expensive one or not."

His eyes widened, and his smile grew. "It is you after all," he mumbled.

"But I don't have anything to give you," I admitted, prompting him to glance at the ring Frederick had given me.

"How about that ring on your finger?" he suggested. I shook my head, disappointing him. "I'm sorry, Claude, except for this one."

"Shall I try it on?" I diverted, changing the subject.

Excitement lit up Claude's eyes as he nodded. "I hope it fits."

"I'm sure it will," I reassured him, sliding the ring onto my right ring finger. "Beautiful. Thank you, Claude."

Interrupting our moment, Peter inquired, "Did you dye your hair?" I grabbed a mirror and gasped; silver streaks adorned my hair.

"What the f—" I started, but Claude's smile made me pause. "No, I didn't do anything about it."

"What are you doing?" I asked.

Peter stood up, leaned forward, and said, "Indulging in your beauty. I love your eyes and hair."

My lips curled up as I teased, "Only my eyes and hair?" Peter blushed, stammering, "No, I mean you're beautiful... Everything about you is beautiful."

Claude and I chuckled as Peter gave Claude a glare. Tapping Claude's nose, I suggested, "Shall I inform them about you two being here?" They both shook their heads, and I asked, "What did you do?"