Chapter 18

It was well past midnight, around half past twelve, when I finally arrived at the quaint village of Brokeshire. Parking my car in front of a small inn, I grabbed my bag and entered. An elderly woman greeted me with a smile that faltered for a moment before brightening again.

"Oh, dear. You took long enough to get here. I'm sure you're tired," she said as I approached the front desk.

Fatigue immediately coursed through my body as I nodded my head.

The woman handed me a keycard, and a man, presumably a staff member, guided me to my room. It was situated on the top floor. Despite the building's age, the interior was surprisingly spacious, clean, and evoked a sense of familiarity.

"If you ever need anything, you can call us, and we'll be at your service," the man assured me.

"What's your name?" I inquired before he closed the door.

A smile graced his lips. "Atticus, ma'am," he replied.

Nodding, I said, "Nice to meet you, Atticus. Thank you." He bowed his head and bid me goodbye.

I quickly undressed and stepped into the shower. The warm water proved to be a balm for my aching muscles. After the refreshing shower, I wrapped myself in a robe and dried my hair. My eyebrows furrowed when I noticed a nightgown laid out on the bed. Cursing under my breath, I realised I hadn't packed any clothes.

Reluctantly, I put on the nightgown. It turned out to be one of the finest silk garments I had ever worn. Sinking into the soft bed, the quiet and serene atmosphere lulled me into a quick, peaceful sleep.

Connecticut...

"Hasten the retrieval of the relics," Frederick ordered, his tone commanding, as Lynn bowed his head and swiftly left his office.

Returning to his human form, Frederick's mind calmed, allowing him to focus on perfecting every detail of his plan. He placed a hand under his chin, his eyes gazing into the distance. "My army is already prepared, soon they'll meet their queen once I prove to them that I'm the rightful one to inherit the throne," he mumbled with a sinister determination.

Lynn re-entered the room, bearing news that immediately stoked Frederick's anger, eliciting a growl from his lips.

"Sean! Kill them! Kill all of them, including that fucking brat! Bring someone with you and eliminate them! Ensure they do not interfere with Rivia. Make sure to present their heads to me! DO NOT LET THEM TAKE RIVIA AWAY FROM ME! GO!" he screamed, his command echoing through the room as Sean promptly vanished to fulfil his master's orders.

Avengers Compound...

The Avengers were taken aback when Claude, accompanied by Peter, entered the meeting room. Natasha, being the closest, approached him with a casual question.

"Hey, champ. Who woke you up?" she asked.

Claude's eyes widened, his gaze wandering around the room. "They're here," he mumbled.

Tony furrowed his eyebrows. "Who?" he inquired just as the lights flickered ominously.

A red mist began to form in Wanda's hand as she sensed something foreboding. Pietro quickly joined her side, and the alarm blared, setting the team on edge.