Chapter 17

As we gathered for dinner inside my office, Parker and Claude took turns sharing their stories, occasionally bantering and leaving me to respond with laughter or comments. As the evening progressed, Claude let out a yawn, and Parker's eyes began to droop with sleep.

"We should get you home. I'm sure everyone is worried about the two of you," I suggested. I swiftly placed Claude on my lap, and he leaned his head on my chest, snuggling closer, while Parker sat beside me, resting his head on my shoulder.

"Can we just stay for the night?" Parker asked.

"I'm afraid I have to say no to that, маленький паук. Let's go home, shall we?" I replied. Parker nodded, and we all stood up, grabbed my bag, and headed to my car. I placed both boys in the back for a comfortable sleep.

After a few minutes of driving, I arrived at the compound, where the guard let us in upon seeing the sleeping boys. I woke Parker up, carried Claude in my arms, and Parker went to his room. I volunteered to tuck Claude in, given his room was beside Parker's.

As I was about to leave, Claude grasped my hand, not letting it go.

"Don't leave me," he mumbled in his sleep, a tear rolling down his cheek.

My breath hitched as a scene flashed in my mind.

I placed a chair beside his bed, brushing away some hairs on his face.

"I won't go anywhere. I won't leave you," I said, kissing his forehead.

"Today is the death anniversary of Claude's parents."

Gasping for air, my eyes went to Claude, noticing tears streaming down my cheeks. I quickly wiped them and carefully removed his hand. As I stood up, another scene flashed in my mind.

I was kneeling on the ground, tears dried on my face as I looked above. Blood was everywhere.

A man with wings, emitting an ethereal aura, floated with his sword pointing at me.

"Abomination," he declared. "You are a threat to all. I should've killed you the moment you were born."

As the man descended, standing in front of me, I felt a sting on my neck as he moved near his sword. Blood started to trickle from my neck to his sword as he opened his mouth.

"Immortality shall be your mantle, but the agony of death will course through your veins like an unyielding river. With each death, you shall know the searing pain of mortality, a relentless reminder of the fragility you possess. As life begets life, your slate shall be wiped clean with each rebirth, leaving you to grasp at the fragments of a forgotten past. Immortal, yet bound by the relentless cycle of death, a fate that shall shadow your every step through the eons."

Breathing unevenly, I grabbed my head, the searing pain coursing through my mind. I managed to stand up and went outside Claude's room when someone placed a hand on my shoulder, startling me.

I quickly grabbed the hand and twisted it. My eyes widened when I saw it was Wanda. Red mist immediately crawled from my arm to my face as we stared at each other. Her grip tightened as I felt her enter my mind, her eyes glowing red.

A gasp escaped her lips, and a hiss from mine as she did something to my mind, like a lock being lifted and destroyed. I managed to yank my arm away, and her eyes went back to normal as she stared at me.

"Rivia," she mumbled as she slowly approached me, her eyes watering.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I said, "You're mistaking me for someone else. Parker and Claude are sleeping in their rooms. I have to go." I stated and quickly went to where my car was parked.