15.- Mate

... Ambrosia.

Lupita's heart stopped as she stared into those beautiful red-gray eyes that seemed to draw her in like a magnet. But they weren't happy like she wanted them to be, they were sad and confused. A storm of all the bad emotions in those beautiful eyes of hers. Lupita felt the need to walk toward her; hold her... kiss her. Anything! She just wanted... her.

No. She was a vampire. Vampires were bad. They almost killed her. They imprisoned her and used her as an attraction. They tortured her, killed her family, and cursed her. They were evil.

But somehow, this beautiful vampire made all of those memories seem so far away. Almost non-existent. Everything felt right when she was near. She felt safe.

Ambrosia suddenly turned around and sped walked away, and without thinking twice, Lupita followed after her mate.

"Ambrosia!" she shouted as she ran after her and skidded to a stop in front of her. "That wasn't anything."

"Why would I think it was?" she asked and tried to walk past her but Lupita placed her hands on her shoulders to keep her in place. Electricity went through her entire body at the touch and everything felt warm and fuzzy. Her shoulders relaxed and she looked up at Ambrosia, noticing the girl was slightly taller than her. She would have to stand on her toes to kiss her properly.

"You seem upset," Lupita said and rubbed her shoulder with her thumb. It felt so natural to be intimate with the girl.

"I am," Ambrosia said but quickly caught herself. "Not! I am not upset! You can do whatever you want! I don't even know you, why would I care?" she shouted - her accent coming through quite a lot - and Lupita smiled inwardly as she realized she wasn't trying to leave her hold.

"You are upset," Lupita stated and smiled at her.

Ambrosia's cheeks puffed slightly and her cheeks turned a soft pink, while her eyes glowed a soft black. But she didn't say anything or try to move away.

Lupita wanted to do nothing more than to kiss her at that moment. To hold her forever and kiss her until the end of their days. Why didn't she just do it? She knew Ambrosia wanted it as well by the way she glanced at her lips every once in a while.

She knew why. Who was she kidding? She was scared. Terrified. She wanted time to heal, time to understand why this girl was her chosen one. And she wanted to give Ambrosia that time as well. Maybe get to know her better so this all wouldn't come like a shock. It seemed as if she had been recently turned as well, and Lupita knew she needed time to process that as well. They both needed time. Maybe not as much as Lupita had originally thought, but they still needed time.

Lupita took a deep breath and reluctantly took her hands back and looked at her mate.

"Nothing is going on between me and Jazmyn," she said and smiled at her before cautiously taking her hand and squeezing it. "Werewolves have mates, and she isn't mine," Lupita reassured her and slowly began walking away, keeping eye contact with the newborn vampire as she did so. Though Ambrosia's eyes suddenly went to something behind her and they widened in horror. Lupita turned and was suddenly knocked onto the floor, her nose cracking in the process and blood spewing out.

Tears ran down her face as memories flooded her mind and the sudden impact made it impossible for her to hold them back.

A bell sounded in the distance as she stood up, her nose cracked and bleeding as she looked down at the lifeless body at her feet and then at the thousands of people around her, cheering her "name".

"Blood Moon! Blood Moon!"

A name given to her because of her thirst for blood and her magical heritage. Shorter versions of her warrior name were "Blood" or "Moon", as her captors called her other than her real name. "Blood Spitter", "Blood Eater", "Cursed Blood", the list went on for the many variations of her name, but "Blood Moon" was the most popular.