18.- "5"

TW: wounds

Voices echoed and muddled up in her brain as she started waking up. She couldn't make out a single word that was said but she understood that they were worried. A hand caressed her fur and she felt the sun's warmth warming her up. She tried to move her leg, but the pain and memories of the prior night immediately came back.

"Don't move."

She stopped moving and whimpered. Her body was stiff and aching, causing every movement to send shock waves of pain through her.

"You need to shift," a voice said and Lupita slowly began to open her eyes. The light pushed at her eyelids as she did, but it was suddenly gone and her eyes didn't burn once she opened them. Everything was fuzzy and she only made out a few colors and strange shapes around her. She guessed she was still in the forest based on the green and brown colors around her and the hard ground beneath her. Again the voice told her to shift and she did. Her bones slowly began to crack and with all her new wounds the process became more painful than it usually was. Whimpers and growls echoed in the space where they were as she slowly and painfully shifted. Once the pain had finally stopped she was enveloped in something soft and warm.

"Can you see me?"

Lupita looked up and tried to focus on the person in front of her. Slowly their white hair became noticeable, then their eyes, and finally their whole face was in front of her.

"Yes," Lupita whispered and slowly began to look around. Valeria was over by a tree, leaning against a tired-looking Jazmyn. When she looked to their left she could see Aoi and Mia walking around looking stressed.

"Good," North said and placed a hand on either side of Lupita's face. "We need to get to Elizabeth. She will be worried sick."

Lupita nodded weakly and tried to stand, but North quickly placed a hand on her shoulder and pushed her down. "You are too weak to walk by yourself," she said and picked her up, bridal style. The position pushed at something in Lupita's shoulder, so he tried to move her arms to get more comfortable, but her shoulder flared up and she let out a scream.

"Shh," North said and placed her back down in the grass and began to stroke her hair back and her other hand slowly went up and down the bridge of her nose, immediately calming her down. "You are too hurt to move," she mumbled, seemingly to herself.

"Is she awake?" Jazmyn said and stumbled over to them. Lupita tried her best to look away but everything ached so she was left looking at the worried halfling. She looked like she had been crying as her eyes were puffy and her nose was red.

"Yes, but she is hurt," North quickly said as Jazmyn was about to throw herself at Lupita.

"How hurt?" she asked and carefully crouched down.

North sighed and slowly revealed Lupita's shoulder. Lupita tried to look but North gently pushed her head away.

"It's better if you don't see it," she said, but the horrified look on Jazmyn's face told her it was horrible. "We need to call your mother."

"I don't have my phone," Jazmyn said and looked over at the colorful trio who were watching them from a distance.

"I brought mine," Valeria said and pulled it out before dialing a number. It took a few times before she began talking and then she slowly walked over to where Lupita was laying. She gave the phone to Jazmyn before shifting into her fox form – which at first looked like she went up in flames, something Lupita hadn't really paid attention to before but looked very cool – and settling beside her mate.

Jazmyn began to talk with her mother and Lupita heard how distressed the woman was from the other end of the weird device.

"Mom wants to stay on the phone while she drives here," Jazmyn said while holding the phone flat in her palm.