29.-Father

"I'm home," Lupita said as she made her way to the back of the bakery toward the front desk.

"Good to have you back," John said as he served a customer. "Help me with picking some stuff up and cleaning the tables?" he asked as she came over to him.

"Yeah," she said and smiled. "Just need to shower and change." She quickly kissed his cheek and ran to her room, picking up something John had laid out for her on her bed and quickly heading to the shower. She spent little time looking at herself and quickly washed up, put on clothes, and hurried down to the cafe to help.

A lot of the customers gave her strange looks as she washed tables and carried large boxes to where John made all of his baked goods. She had realized early on in helping John that there weren't a lot of other species in this part of town, but the few that were there often came to this shop. John was a sweet man, and what he made was even sweeter. It was still uncomfortable to be stared at and hear the whispers behind her back. John tried to defend her, but he was quickly dismissed.

"Muffin, come here," John said and she hurried over to him. "Can you find this from the back and put it in a box for pick-up?" He handed her a note with a few cakes and muffins on them. She nodded and quickly went to the back, took out everything, and put them in two pick-up boxes.

"They needed two," Lupita said as she walked out with the two boxes. She carefully set them down on the counter and smiled when she felt a hand ruffle the back of her head.

"Good job," he said and smiled at a customer.

"How cute," the young woman said with a smile. "Is she your daughter?"

"Oh, we-" Lupita began but was interrupted.

"Yes she is," John said with a smile and handed the woman her bag. "My little pride and joy."

"How adorable," she said with a smile. "I have a son back home. Such a sweetheart. He managed to complete a difficult test today and this is his favourite cake so I had to buy it for him."

"Kids are the best. Send my congratulations to your son, and remember to say I love you to him," John said with a bright smile. "Have a lovely day."

"You too," the woman said with a bright smile and waved at them both before walking out the door.

"Do you want a tissue?" John asked as he looked back at Lupita who was holding back tears as she stared at the man in front of her. It had been so long since she had a father figure; so long since she had felt this type of love from an adult.

"I love you," she whispered and hugged him softly while nuzzling into his neck.

"I love you too muffin," he said as he rubbed her back. "And you truly are my daughter," he pulled back and handed her a tissue. "You saved me like I saved you. I am in eternal debt to you. You are the most amazing, wonderful, strong werewolf I have ever met. And I love you so much."

Lupita quickly crouched behind the counter to hide from the prying eyes of the few customers sitting in the cafe. She dried her eyes and nose with the tissue as she leaned onto John's leg.

"I can't make it official, but know that you are my daughter in my heart," John said and softly scratched the back of her head.

"Thank you," she sniffed and smiled while leaning into his hand.

"Hi there."

"Hello," John said and Lupita felt a familiar scent enter her nose.

"We are here to pick something up." Lupita quickly dried her tears, stood up, and smiled at the white wolf in front of her. "Hi, Lup- are you ok?"