27.- Gym day

TW: talks about homophobia and suicide

Lupita had been staying in the bakery for the past couple of days. Her vision was returning and she had been helping around in the bakery since she felt guilty for being a burden to John. He had said on multiple occasions that he wanted her to rest and didn't care about what she had said and that she was in no way a burden to him.

After that night he had explained to her why he had acted the way he did. It was his son's old room. When Lupita asked what happened he had become distant and Lupita could see the tears quickly forming in his eyes. John explained that his son had taken his own life and he felt guilty. He hadn't been there for him when he needed him and had detested him for what he was. So his son had taken his life and John had been crushed. He had almost closed the bakery, but then he told Lupita he and his son had started it together. Closing it wasn't an option, so he kept going and worked on himself.

Lupita was happy that he had been working on himself, and she would have never guessed that he was that kind of man before. He was kind to everyone he met. And if the popularity of his bakery was anything to go by, you could see that everyone loved him.

And his son seemed to have been a wonderful boy. He was 18, just like Lupita. He liked to bake and he liked to fix motorcycles. He had been fascinated with the supernatural world and had gotten himself a boyfriend who was a werewolf. John, in his words, was a different man and didn't accept any part of his son's choices in lover. So he had kicked him out and been awful to him. And a few months later he had gotten the news.

"Muffin!" John shouted from downstairs.

"Coming!" Lupita said as she pulled a loose black sweater. John had said she could use his son's old clothes and she was happy about that. He had been a strong and big man so his clothes fit Lupita wonderfully. They didn't stick to her skin and she guessed they were stylish. She didn't dwell on it and hurried down the stairs, grabbed the lunchbox set out for her, and took the sandwich filled with meat placed beside it.

"Your friend is outside," John said and quickly kissed her forehead as she slipped into her slippers.

"Love you!" Lupita howled back at him as she hurried out and jumped into the car. She guessed John found it amusing with her wolf tendencies because she could hear him chuckle before she closed the door.

"You are full of energy," Elizabeth said. She only got a mumble and growl back as Lupita began to eat her sandwich while placing the box with her lunch in her backpack. "That's good to hear," Elizabeth chuckled.

"You understood that?" Jazmyn asked and looked curiously at Lupita as she devoured her breakfast.

"Of course," Elizabeth said with a smile. "Wolves communicate through growling regularly so most of us understand it in human forms as well. You could say it's a different language. You will have some difficulty understanding it in human form - even I do - but your wolf will understand it.

"Ok," Jazmyn said and turned back to Lupita. "We have gym day today with the vampires. I asked North to bring a set of gym clothes for you."

"I still think gym day only a few days after the new moon is a horrible idea. For most of you it's the first day back," Elizabeth grumbled. "And with the vampires no less."

"We have gym days with the other ones as well," Jazmyn said and moved to face forward again. "You shouldn't be saying this so close to school Mom. What will they say when they hear you badmouth a whole race of students?"

"Shut your mouth, young lady," Elizabeth said in a joking tone. "There are worse teachers than me when it comes to this." The two in the front laughed and Lupita was left with a few questions but didn't bother asking.