Waterfall Encounter

The boy's scarf wrapped securely around (Y/N)'s wrist as he remained a short distance away

Besides the setting, the fact almost all the successful candidates excelled in long-distance combat, put the doll at a heavy disadvantage.

Still, she had to find the silver lining in this situation.

Eventually, the boy will pull her close enough to take the device and when he does, (Y/N)'ll extract all of his energy and take his device.

For now, she waits.

(Y/N) tugged at the scarf abruptly jolting her capture from whatever trance he's been in. In response, he tightened his grip and put the doll's plan in action by wrapping more of the grey material around her, pulling her towards him.

The hesitance in the boy's every move was as clear as day. He didn't know what was being pulled or what she was capable of doing. Perhaps, he thought standing around won't do either of them any good and decided to just pull the unknown towards him.

In a matter of seconds, (Y/N) was right before him, right at the edge of a raging waterfall. Her free hand latched out to his shoulder, ready for whatever kind of wave that'll course through her body.

Once it did, what cascaded on her was breath-taking. The warmth of sunset oddly combined with a light shower. Fulfilling, protective and encompassing.

Just as sudden as the feeling had coarsed through (Y/N)'s body, it vanished, illiciting a sharp gasp from the doll. As if she was momentarily blinded by the addictive energy, her eyes suddenly noticed the flicker of red behind shaded goggles and the levitating black locks.

With a grunt, the boy kept his eyes fixed on his victim as his hand make quick work of reaching the device.

Alarms blared in (Y/N)'s head and she moved with the only purpose of keeping her device away. Her legs stumbled around, restricted by the capturing weapon as a handsy fight ensued.

Due to the boy's weakened body, his steps failed at their only task and slipped down the edge, dragging (Y/N) along.

Regardless of the fall, hands were still latched out between the two as desperation festered.

For a split second though, the catfight ceased for one reason reason only: instead of the device, the boy's hand grabbed a soft mound.

The feeling, unfamiliar as it was, definitely caught the doll off guard, drawing a squeal out of her. But the voice of the organiser signaling another pass tossed away any bits of embarrassment.

This time, the boy didn't engage as the closing distance to water drew his attention.

Just as the two mangled bodies were seconds away from a harsh impact, the boy drew (Y/N) closer to his chest and switched their bodies mid-air.

The splash of water was received by the boy's back closely followed by the engulfing water.

Commercial break brought to you by: unauthorised boob gropes

(L/N) (Y/N) survived.

The waterfall and the first task.

Apparently, the boy made a quick escape after the harsh landing, ultimately deciding the doll's device wasn't worth the hazards.

She, too, thought the pursuit wasn't needed, even when his energy was weakened.

At this moment, the doll wondered if her quirk had worked against her since the physical and emotional stress has finally caught up with her.

As she heaved a sigh of relief, the doll noticed a set of eyes on her and turned to meet them.

It was the boy.

Except he instantly looked away.

(Y/N) walked with purpose to snatch a pain relief patch and a small bottle of those distasteful, but healthy energy drinks.

With those two in hand, the doll turned to the boy's spot only to find him retreating into a quiet corner, so she jogged to him.

"Hi..." the doll started.

Boots stepped into the boy's vision as did the welcoming melody of a soft greeting. He looked up from his hunched position and set eyes on the energy sucking girl from earlier.

"... hi," the boy finally answered and instantly the items in her hands were shoved into his face.

"Here! I hope this sets you up for the next task," (Y/N) awkwardly said. With every word, red of her cheeks deepened. She didn't dare look him in the eyes, either.

"Um... thanks?" he cautiously took the items from her hands and marveled at the timid change of attitude. Was it because he...?

No, can't be just that.

"I should be the one saying that," she went on. Though (Y/N) was putting herself in an awkward situation, her honesty never failed to be voiced, "you saved me from the impact."

The boy looked down, scratching his reddening cheek, "that was nothing..."

"It was something. You could've snatched the device and ran off, but you prioritised my safety," the doll went on, making him more and more embarrassed.

"Okay, I get it," he cutely huffed, "you don't have to say it."

"I do," (Y/N) persisted, "if you're set on becoming a hero, you shouldn't be saving other heroes."

"Wh-" the boy started, astonished at what he believed to be an appreciation speech had turned into a reprimanding of sort.

"If a hero can't save themselves then they aren't fit to be heroes," the doll delivered her verdict with the sternness of a commander.

The boy scratched the back of his neck with a scowl as he retaliated, "I don't know what you're on about but it shouldn't be complicated, yeah? If I didn't help you then what kind of hero am I?"

(Y/N) opened her lips but zipped them into a tight line.

"Heroes can save and be saved," the boy sighed, "there's no shame in it."

The doll swallowed the lump in her throat along with her shaken feelings upon receiving the words she wanted to hear all her life. The hoarseness of her voice came out on a tight thread as she said: "good luck on your next task."

Before the boy could reply, the doll turned away from him and walked away.