We loved with a love that was more than love...

A green glow sprawled across the white cotton of our bedsheets, the colour of fairytale green.

I did not know how I came to be so lucky, nor did I know what I ever have done to deserve my Medusa.

One thing I do know, however, is that I would rather die the most painful death than no longer having a shadow of green cascading below me everywhere I go.

Drizella Miller was out of this world beautiful. Even with her cheeks smushed against my chest she was still, and forever will be, the most ethereally beautiful woman to ever exist.

I wanted to stay this way for the rest of eternity, I wanted to buy us a home in the middle of nowhere and never, ever leave.

Her vibrant hair fanned out in every which way across my chest, her soft arms cuddling me and her face smushed against me with her ear glued above where my heart lies.

The heart that is forever and always hers. Every single atom of it.

Nothing in this world mattered to me other than her.

Her happiness is the only thing that I care for, yet I still found my heart erratically beating against my chest at what I was about to do.

With one arm wrapped around her waist like a vice, I silently studied the crisp green gemstone of the ring I was set to present her with.

My heart secretly could not handle her stubbornness, it was what petrified me most about asking this woman to be by my side for the rest of eternity.

Like she even has a choice.

The velvet box slams shut as I close it, placing it back into my pocket as I pluck up the dreaded courage to leave Ella.

Never had I once left her snoring and drooling self alone, however I felt that in order to do this I would have to leave and return all within the space of her deep sleep.

Seeing Ella be so drained and guilt-stricken from the death of her Dad was like someone repeatedly crushing my heart with a sixty two knives and a hundred and one fork-lift trucks.

I could not stand to see her upset. I secretly felt myself edging closer to the brink of insanity over the fact that I could not physically stop those salty water droplets that I despise most in this world.

An hour passed, and I still found myself glued to Ella, my body not allowing me to tear us apart. I did not want to leave her, but I knew that this was my only chance to do this properly.

It took me twenty-three minutes to get myself to leave her. The scent of apple radiating from her body was like a blanket tightening around me, begging me to stay.

I eventually made it out of our bedroom, carefully manoeuvring myself so that I did not wake her. I grabbed all the things I needed and sprinted out of the door as fast as I could so that I could be back beneath my Medusa as quickly as possible.

The sight of her alone in bed quickened my steps, and within no time I had made it to the Royal Portuguese Reading Room.

The white exterior of the building instantly reminded me what I was doing, and more specifically who I was doing it for.

I knew that if I gave into my need to turn back, then I would not be able to give Ella everything she deserves and feed into her crazy romantic fantasies.

I could not think of anything else that would be more preposterous than that.

The handle of the dark wooden door clicked as I opened it, the sound of my shoes tapping along the tiled staircase echoed as I ran up them as though my life depended on it, which it most certainly did.

Like always, my mind was filled with thoughts of Drizella Miller. The way she would tell me to slow down if she saw the speed at which I ascended the staircase, and the way she would ramble off about her crazy theories that I had memorised off by heart.

I was an Ella-expert, after all.

The librarian gave me a strange look as I told her what I was doing. However I gave her no choice in the matter of disagreeing, the only reason for me talking to another woman that was not Ella was because I knew my Medusa would be distraught if she learnt that I had not asked permission.

I did not leave her any chance to reply to my words as I walked away from her and into the hall of the reading room.

I instantly knew that Ella would love it in here. The bookcases in this place stretched high up into the sky, even higher than me.

She had rambled off about this place every single day since I very first met her, and so it undeniably held the same special place in my heart that it did hers.

I had had this moment planned since that day at the pier, and so, with quickened steps, I walked toward the poetry section.

I glanced at my lock-screen photo of Ella sixteen times as I carefully tore out the middle of a copy of her favourite book.

With a firm study of her ring, and a deep breath, I placed the box into the space of the book. Her reaction to me on one knee relayed in my mind as I placed it into a space between the Portuguese books.

As I walked back out of the room, I prayed that Ella did not wake up in my time of absence, I quickened my steps as my body felt suffocated without her near.

I felt like a part of me was missing as I walked alone through the streets of Rio de Janeiro, I yearned for her witty comebacks and the way she would entrust me with the wildest of theories.

The busy streets felt silent without her witty voice ringing in my ears.

They felt completely silent and empty without the girl who had dreamt to walk them all her life.

._._._._.

a/n - this is a rlly short chapter and I'm not entirely happy with it but I figured I should include the extract I published for the competition <3

Future chapters will be much longer :)