"You are the only cactus in the garden of my life."

"C'mon man, at least try and look like you're having a good time." Brennan huffed, swirling the straw around the glass of his milkshake.

The clinking of the metal against the glass annoyed me, I wanted to tear the straw out of his hand and crush it until it became a tiny unusable square, yet I refrained.

The girl next to him chatted away on the phone, and, out of the two infuriating sounds, that for some reason felt more tolerable than the sound of the straw and the glass.

I glowered at Brennan in return, wishing for the night to end as quickly as possible so that I could return to being invaded by silence.

The girl beside him hung up on whatever call she was making, turning to the both of us and saying something that I did not at all take in.

"Hear that? Lana's friend is joining us, so be on your best behaviour."

I don't have a best behaviour, I thought. Whoever the fuck it was surely wouldn't even notice my presence so what's the point?

"What's her name?" Brennan asks the blonde girl, my level of interest suddenly rising ever so slightly.

"Ella."

Ella.

I like that name.

I got lost in my thoughts as my gaze faltered beneath the table, the sound of the two opposite me becoming a complete blur as the ink on my hands suddenly became more interesting.

The chime of the bell caught my attention, the sound ringing in the back of my mind and slowly vibrating until it consumed me.

My entire body froze at who stood in the doorway.

The most unexplainable beauty stood there, her short frame just about reaching under the 'OPEN' sign hanging behind the glass of the door.

Every single inch of her was beautiful, from the vibrant colour of her hair down to her luscious silhouette.

And her face, fuck, her face.

I could spend an eternity studying her face.

I desperately wanted to stand up and walk over to her so that I could see her face more clearly, I wanted to introduce myself in a way that I know normal people do, yet I remained firmly glued to my seat.

She did not seem real. It was as if I was hallucinating, I was waiting to be awoken and told that I was in fact experiencing an out-of-body event.

Every other sound in the room became fuzzy, the only constant sound in my ears being that of my erratic heartbeat thumping against my ribcage.

I could not hear a single thing, it was as if someone had wrapped a pillow around my head, restricting my ability to hear.

No single thing mattered in the world as my eyes traveled back up to hers only to find that her soft brown eyes were already on me.

I felt my heart clench and my skin burn, two human experiences that I had never once been capable of feeling.

The clenching of my heart was a refreshing reminder that I even had one. It was as though the presence of my heart and soul had only just began to do what it was destined to do.

She is mine. I did not care for her circumstances that could restrict such, she is mine.

The beating of my heart thumped in my ears, the sight of her walking over to our table quickening said beats to a point of no return.