Birthday Parties and Six Pebbles

𓆙D R I Z E L L A    S T O N E𓆙

I had never felt so out of place in my life.

I felt like Wednesday Addams in a group of girls her own age, the walls of my comfort zone looking distasteful from an outside perspective.

You would have thought that after having six children that I'd have gotten ahold of this whole 'Mom' thing. But I hadn't.

And although I took pride in the upbringing of my boys, the one thing that I had not gotten used to was the chatter between the moms.

They spoke about how infuriating the soccer coach was or how the student council should be doing more for the health of the cafeteria.

I thought it was all a load of bullshit.

If that's what they'd rather spend their time worrying about then that's not my problem, but I still didn't understand why they had to bring it up at a child's fifth birthday party.

All six of my boys had been invited to their friends birthday party, which evidently meant that both me and Stone had to accompany them, because if we did not then the events that would occur would mean that we would be the topic of the Mom's tea-at-three club.

I felt a pair of eyes on me from across the yard. The pair of obsidian eyes bored into my entire being and ran a shiver across my skin.

Even after all these years of us being consumed with one another's existence, I still felt my heart leap and my skin burn up whenever he was around—which was always—.

He watched me with his usual scowl, not at all amused with the Dad chat occurring around his towering frame.

I smiled at the thought of him mixing in with the other Dads, a possibility that was nonexistent for my socially-awkward husband.

He sent a playful glare my way, knowing exactly what was on my mind. My eyes traveled to his slightly raised hand as he motioned for me to come to him.

I instantly felt relieved that I would have an excuse to leave the group of Mom's, I excused myself and let my feet guide me into the embrace of my husband.

"I missed you." He grumbles into my hair, his words muffled as he kisses the top of my head.

I giggle into his chest, his arms tightening around me so that I am fully pressed up against him, my face smushed into the clothed bulkiness of his pecks.

"I was right over there, Lurch." I smile, teasing my husband who I know will not find any valid reasoning behind my words.

He grows completely still, his hand that caressed the small of my back completely stopping as the gruffness of his breathing hitches.

His free hand lightly grabs the back of my head, tilting my face upwards so that I can peer up at my husbands beautifully grumpy face.

He carries an incredulous look on his face, silently searching my face for any hint that I am unwell and beginning to forget the extent of which his possessiveness reaches.

"Tell me that you are joking." He demands, scowling at the serious look on my face as I play along. 

"I was not very far away, Lurch." I deadpan, chewing the inside of my cheek to prevent my smile.

"Medusa." He grunts in warning, his free hand holding my waist in a vice grip.

I let my smile free, letting it coat my features as I raise up onto my tippy-toes to place an appropriate kiss onto his lips.