I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

a/n - thank you to @queridadios for this suggestion <33

Chase's party, around the beginning of the book :)

𓆙𓆙𓆙𓆙

My heart thudded in my chest like a volcanic eruption, erratic strings of insanity threatening to pool over at the sight of Ella Miller laughing with someone that was not me.

I desperately wanted to make her laugh, to make her smile as she lay upon my chest, her mesmerising brown eyes scrunched up along with the dents of her dimples in the soft skin of her cheek.

I wanted to make her laugh.

But I could not.

I was scared. Scared that she would not find me funny. Scared that I could not make her laugh the way her friend is currently making her laugh.

The green-haired goddess stands far, too far, at the other side of the crowded room, my need for her witty comebacks and sarcastic ways eating me alive like the deadliest disease.

She glows like the Greek goddess that she is, her infectious laugh and smile lighting up the entirety of the dimly-lit house party.

I wanted to take that smile right off her face.

I hated the fact that others could see her ethereally beautiful face beaming with amusement. I hated the fact that she was not aware of the amount of ogling eyes I had had to tear off of her in the past three minutes.

I hated the fact that she did not know that she was mine.

Not yet, but she will soon. Very soon.

It is my life's purpose. She will know that she is  mine and that I am hers. Not matter what.

I would do anything to make her shine with happiness, I would do unimaginable things just so that there was not a single slither of irritation in her body.

But right now I was a madman, right now I was about do something that threatened to bring said irritation upon her.

She speaks with Lara, Lana...whatever her name is, telling her about how some fucker is trying to get into her temple. Her temple that was reserved for me and me only.

"Who the fuck is trying to get into your temple?" My voice rumbles in a demand, my body tense with an overwhelming need to kill said fucker that is trying to get past the bodyguard of her temple.

Her back is to me, and I desperately needed to see her face, to see that she was okay and to calm down the rising feeling within me.

I admire the way her fairytale-green hair flows as she turns to me, her next few words not at all helping with how I am on the verge of going utterly insane.

"Too many people to count." She tries to deadpan, but I instantly recognise the amusement laced in her tone.

I am an Ella-expert, after all.

My heart skips a beat in its erratic rhythm as her large brown doe-eyes peer up at me, my jaw growing impossibly tighter at the sight of her drunken eyes.

Despite me knowing that she is joking, I cannot help the way my voice barks out in reply. The mere thought of her in the presence of another man did things to me that I did not know were humanly possible until I met her.

"Who?"

My eyes falter to her tauntingly sarcastic smile, my heart skipping yet another beat at the sight of her smiling just for me.

"Too many to name." She grins yet again, as if purposefully trying to turn me into a madman.

"Medusa." I growl out the name that suited the Greek green goddess way too well.