Six Pebbles and a Puppy

"But Dad I need to teach him that fairytale green is the bestest colour!"

"Not yet Heath, wait for your mother to wake up first."

He huffs and shoots a glare my way, folding his pyjama-cladded arms around himself. Fuck, it's like looking in a mirror.

I had six individual little mirrors, all six of which were my sons who looked exactly like me, minus the height and the tattoos. Although, Perseus has just successfully risen above the height of my green-haired wife, which did not take much time at all.

Heathcliff had awoken earlier this morning when I had arrived back from the dog shelter. He still had his eyes pinched closed when he descended the staircase and it took him a whole seven minutes to realise I had a puppy in my arms.

He had shot up from his slumped position at my side when the soft fur of our new family member tickled the skin of his nose.

His hand had slapped over his open mouth in shock as he greeted the new puppy that he had been entirely unaware of until only moments before.

"Can I go wake Mom up now?" He grumbles with a frown on his face, blissfully unaware of the fact that he is turning into a miniature version of his father.

I was just as impatient as him, though I did not show it I was growing more and more frustrated with the fact that my other five sons had not yet awoken.

"Heath." I deadpan. "It is five-thirty in the morning. You know what that means?"

His face lights up and he jumps from his sitting position, letting go of the nameless dog's ears that he had previously been flapping about to make him look like that flying elephant movie.

"It means that we can wake brothers up a-and then wake Mom up!" He beams, the scowl that had previously painted his face switched off within a blink of an eye.

I nod to him, hushing him to remain quiet so that he does not ruin the surprise. "Yes, now go and wake up your brothers and do not tell them about this, you hear me?"

"Yes Dad." He responds quickly and sternly, just like all my other sons whom I had trained to be just as stubborn and strong-willed as me.

He scurries off up the stairs whilst I head into the kitchen to make Ella's surprise perfect. I place the dog onto the counter, trying my best to keep ahold of the writhing little thing as I tied the bow around his collar.

I had no idea what on earth I was doing, but the lady at the shelter said that this would make it like a scene in a movie, which I had no clue about but nevertheless complied at the mention of Drizella's happiness.

I scowled as I looked at the green ribbon that did not match exactly with the colour of fairytale green.

I knew that my sons would point this out instantly, and that I would never forgive myself for giving Drizella a gift that was not entirely perfect.

The dog whined as I looked down at him, debating whether or not to take him back to the shelter and forget this whole thing.

I instantly knew that if Drizella found out that I had returned a dog to the shelter then that would be the end of our marriage, and I could not even fathom that idea without becoming utterly insane, so I abolished my previous idea instantly.

"You better not scratch her or I swear to fuck—"

My words falter as I pick the puppy back up into my arms, not knowing what on earth I could possibly have threatened this puppy with that would be beneficial to my marriage.

The sound of six individual footsteps running along the hallway upstairs let me know that Heathcliff had successfully awoken each of his
brothers.

I place the puppy into the laundry room, not knowing where else I could possibly put him without there being catastrophic results.