Chap 26

Keith woke up feeling a hand caressing his face, he was still in Isaac's atelier but this time it was dark.He couldn't believe that he had fallen asleep while posing, who does that ? Isaac looked at him and smiled softly.

"Sorry I fell asleep, did you have time to finish the sketch ?"

Isaac nodded and got up to get the things Keith had left downstairs.

"We should go back to the palace and eat." said the young prince, holding out Keith's clothes.

"Of course." Keith felt his stomach growl, and he hurriedly put on his clothes before following Isaac out the door.

It was cold outside and Keith felt drops of water on his face, it was time to hurry back to the palace. Once again, it was a good thing that Isaac was guiding Keith on his way back, because by day it was a maze, and by night it was almost like an escape room, although Keith had never been in one, that's how it felt. As Keith walked through the door of the palace, a thunderous sound was heard, followed a few seconds later by large flashes of lightning illuminating the entrance hall.

A storm was coming.

He loved the atmosphere that thunderstorms brought, it was so relaxing, especially when you're in a place like the palace. Outside it was total chaos, the wind blew, the rain hit the ground and the thunder roared. Inside everything was calm. The electricity blew and the darkness was total, in contrast to what was outside. Keith wanted to lie down in his room and close his eyes to enjoy this moment. The young prince, on the other hand, didn't seem to be so happy, and he took Keith's hand, waiting for him to walk down the hallway to the dining room.

"Are you afraid of thunderstorms ?"

"No, not exactly."

"Well ? What do you mean ? "

"I meant that I'm not afraid of thunderstorms."

"Well, you clearly seem very uncomfortable so what is it ? The lightning bolts?"

"Ahh, stop with your questions. Sit down instead." Isaac said these words quickly and sharply while forcing Keith to sit down.

What could put Isaac in such a state, was he ashamed to be afraid of the storm ? It is a rather common fear.

Tonight's meal consisted of several appetizers such as glasses of bloody Mary with beet terrines and goat cheese mousse, Keith had never seen beets with cheese presented so beautifully.  Most of the time when he ate beets or goat cheese it came from the farmer in the next village and his sister would just steam them and cut some bread to spread the cheese on. Once the appetizer was finished, the servants brought different main courses, the first to be placed on the table was stuffed zucchini melted with ricotta cheese, followed by a slab of doe with cranberry and Roquefort cheese and a fig and cheese tatin, and finally a quiche Lorraine with nettle soup. Keith decided to try the nettle soup and was a little disappointed because the taste was not as strange or new as he thought it would be, so he went for the zucchini stuffed with ricotta cheese which he did not regret. There, there was taste, flavors, sensations, the zucchini was like a soft caress on his palate so soft, melting and tender. The cheese brought a touch of strong flavor to the zucchini's taste. Keith took a second portion before moving on to the doe meat. Throughout the meal Isaac had remained silent, Keith did not want to engage in a discussion at the risk of putting him in an even worse mood, he preferred to continue his feast which ended on a delicious black forest. A cake with cocoa sponge cake, cherries in vanilla cream decorated with whipped cream and to enhance the cake, some kirsch, an alcohol that went perfectly with the cherries. 

Keith was in ecstasy, his stomach was full and his head was empty for once and it felt good. He put his cutlery on his plate before sitting back down and closed his eyes, enjoying the sound of the rain on the windows.