Chap 50

Everything was perfect.

Keith was sleeping in the crook of his arms, Isaac had no more worries, his head was finally empty of anxious thoughts. Early morning was beginning to appear, the grass outside was covered with a thin layer of morning frost. The birch bugs were falling one by one, revealing their round, shiny fruits.

Keith was beginning to wake up slowly, moving in Isaac's arms as he looked at him with a smile. Keith's sleeping face was definitely the first thing he wanted to look at each morning for the rest of his life. Isaac reached out to brush back a strand of hair that had fallen over Keith's face and Keith slowly opened his eyes before looking up at him. Keith broke out of the grip of Isaac's arms, who already missed the contact he had just lost.

"Did you sleep well ?" asked Isaac, looking lovingly at the young Doume.

"Absolutely not."

"Oh ? I'm sorry I hesitated to bring us back to the palace, but you-" The prince began to stammer apologies, already feeling guilty for everything.

"Nah but it's okay Isaac, I didn't sleep well but it's not much of a change from the many nights I've had before" Keith retorted cutting the prince off.

"How can this be ? Didn't you have a bed ?"

"Well, of course I did... let's just say it wasn't the best quality."

Isaac wondered what kind of household Keith was in to have access to such bad beds, normally the children of military or scientists didn't live badly, same with the merchants.

"If you take my mother's offer you won't have any more nights like the horrible ones you've had before."

"Yes... That's right."

"Will you go to her ?" Isaac was still worried that Keith would disappear without a word, the contract with Rosa would give him the assurance of his presence within the Baroni Palace.

"Yes yes, don't worry" Keith said hastily as he got up to put on his jacket and then his shoes.

Isaac half believed it. He would go to his mother tonight and tell her about it. As much as he hated dealing with her, Keith was far more important. 

Isaac had returned to his room and dressed appropriately to see Rosa. He was now wearing a black shirt tucked into loose trousers of the same colour. He had put on a long knee-length jacket, the sleeves of which had gold buttons; the collar was turned up to reveal the gold floral designs. A black leather belt held the outfit in place, Isaac had also taken his scabbard and sword which he had hung at his waist. His mother hated it when he had his hair down, so he put it in a high ponytail. He stood still for a moment in front of the mirror, it was imperative that he did not fail his mother this time. If he failed, he would blame himself for an eternity. In any case, the objective was simple : introduce himself to Rosa, promote Keith's work, remind her of the proposal and ask her if she was still up for it.

He could do it.

Rosa was a busy woman, Isaac had asked all the guards and staff in the palace, but no one knew her schedule and everyone had seen her in a different place. He had been trying to get in touch with her for over a day. As he entered the doorway to the meeting rooms, he saw Rosa in the distance.

" Mrs. Rosa ! Please wait !" 

Isaac hurried to catch up with the queen, he arrived in front of her completely out of breath, damn the corridors were long. She had stopped and was looking at the young prince with her usual disdain. Just by looking at her, Isaac felt all the courage he had gathered to talk to her go away. Although Isaac was six feet tall, Rosa, on heels, was almost his height. She wore a long gold dress with a collar, her wrists decorated with bracelets of the same colour.

"Yes, speak quickly I have a place to be Isaac" 

There was not an ounce of patient compassion or joy even towards her son Rosa remained unmoved. In fact Isaac should say "especially towards her son, Rosa remained unmoved", she could sometimes smile at the other heads of families or even at her servants. Never to her son, Isaac knew well why.

" I wanted to tell you about Keith Sayyid, a servant in charge of decoration at the palace. You met him a little over a week ago-"

"You came to tell me about his talents in bed. The man is definitely versatile, isn't he, Isaac ?"

The young Dolce was stunned. How did she know about him and Keith? How long had she known ? And above all what could he answer to that, he had never been good at improvising...

"Don't make that face, you know very well that I know everything. Now come to the facts, I'm in a hurry."

"I- I am indeed surprised that you are aware of such a trivial matter... I- 

You must know that I was just curious as to what taste he might have after you had taken an interest in-"

"Isaac, I couldn't care less. I'm just surprised you'd stoop to such a lowly person, and yet... 

I just hope you didn't intend to see him again."

"Of course not ! Actually, he's quite awful in bed. Ah ah ! His only talent is gardening or something ; and that's why I came to see you..."

"For his talent as a gardener ?"

"Yes.. And as a decorator, he's good at that !"

"Hmm yes, certainly. Look it's like I said last time, I'll see at the ball and give my decision once it's over. I'm getting tired of having to repeat myself to you." 

The queen huffed before shooting another accusing look at the young prince. Isaac felt humiliated but he could do nothing against the power this woman held. 

"I'm sorry... I wish you a good day" Isaac bowed in respect and Rosa turned her back to him.

"Oh, and one more thing. Isaac, since you tend to forget, at the ball we will make your marriage to Amalia Jones official." 

The queen didn't wait for Isaac's response before slipping away once and for all. That was really the worst of it, Isaac hadn't been able to get his way at all and on top of that Rosa knew about him and Keith. He had managed to deflect the situation but Rosa was going to be even more suspicious now that she knew that he had a relationship with the young servant. The young prince didn't want to be away from him for several more days.

Besides, he wondered what Keith could be doing, at this hour he must have finished his shift. It had been twenty-four hours since he had seen him and he was already missing him, it was time to go and look for the young servant.

Isaac hurried towards the servants' quarters, his mind focused on the future moments he would enjoy with the young Doume.

A/N

Hello ! I'll be quick, but we are entering the final stage. I'm pretty happy because from now on, the chapters will be in the same time frame as us (October).

In case some have got lost we are in this chapter on 29 October 2150 and the next one will take place on 30 October of the same year.