Chap 56

This year, the first of November was really a beautiful day for Isaac.

It was raining, the flowers were wilted and the leaves had almost all fallen to the ground, but today was Keith's birthday, and Isaac had planned to visit him to tell him the good news. Rosa had agreed to bring Keith to work at the palace. 

Isaac was overexcited, it was time for him to see Keith again and to tell him that he was in love with him. He had been thinking about it for two days and it didn't matter if Keith didn't return his feelings, he would feel so good to tell Keith how much he loved him, and then it could avoid confusion in the future. He wanted to make it clear.

Isaac was in the royal carriage, he had asked Rosa if he could personally go and tell Keith the news. The queen seemed interested in the prince's request and waved him off . Isaac was wearing a long brown hooded jacket so as not to attract too much attention, he had also asked the driver to drop him off at the entrance to the suburb of Sverlle, he could go alone to the Montrouge district since it was on the border.

He found the journey long, to get to Keith's house he had had to travel more than forty minutes. The further the car went into the depths of Harelyon the darker the landscape became. It reminded him of the first time he had gone out of the Palace to look for Doumes. That was five years ago and nothing seemed to have changed since then except to worsen. The streets were littered with rubbish, even the fruits on the traders' stalls looked rotten. Isaac was glad he hadn't opened his window, the air must have been nauseating here, it must have been horrible for Keith. Fortunately now he would never have to frequent such places again, he would even be in one of the best wings of the palace, close to Isaac's flats.

He had already thought about how to arrange Keith's room and maybe even cover their schedules so that they could be together as much as possible. The idea of living with Keith was exhilarating, Isaac had never been so happy, it was as if finally the clouds in his life were shifting to reveal the sun.

Isaac had just gotten out of the car and was navigating with his GPS through the dark, grimy streets of Sverlle. He finally arrived in Keith's Montrouge district, which seemed even more familiar than he had imagined, and the further he went the more memories of his first and last hunt came back to him. It was exactly this neighbourhood, there was no doubt about it. The house close to the border, a bit out of the picture.

It was also exactly where the GPS was telling him to go. It couldn't be pure coincidence... Maybe that woman was... Isaac didn't want to imagine that scenario, maybe Keith moved here after all. That must be it, yes, he moved in afterwards.

The young prince approached the house, he immediately noticed the strange state of the door. Even if it was old, there was no reason for it to be so ajar. Isaac slowly approached it, he saw spots of what looked like dried blood.

Fuck ! He rushed to open the door, which creaked loudly before revealing a morbid scene. A man lay there on the floor, a knife stuck in his skull. Who had done this to him ? Isaac was extremely worried about Keith. There was no sound in the house to indicate anyone's presence.

He saw stairs leading to an upper floor, Isaac wanted to know for sure, so he headed upstairs. The floor was completely turned upside down, one room was completely empty while the other looked like it hadn't been occupied for a few days. He walked over to the one that looked occupied, there was some food rotting on the bedside table which was a stain on the decor as it was new. Isaac found nothing of interest, nothing that could tell him where Keith was.

It was while walking around the house that he found remnants of food from the banquet hidden under a servants' uniforms. There was no doubt that it was Keith's. But this did not reassure Isaac, all he knew was that Keith had returned home. Was he the one who had killed the man ? It seemed unimaginable, Keith was so calm, sensitive, and dreamy, he surely didn't have the soul of a killer. Maybe he had problems with the people here ?

Where the hell was he ?!

Isaac's heart felt like it was clamped, now there was only anxiety in him, what if Keith was dead ? People are quickly jealous. Perhaps word of Keith's work in the palace had spread and people from the suburbs came to confront him. Maybe he had been followed along the way by bandits who had eventually kinapped him or even worse, a mercenary. It was common practice now to hire a mercenary, even his family had used one. Someone had noticed the proximity between the Prince and Keith and had wanted to eliminate him.

Fuck ! Isaac had barely had time to be happy. He hadn't even told Keith how much he cared. He hadn't even given him the life he deserved. Everything was a hazy mess without Keith. He allowed him to be calm, to be able to bear his mother and his family, in fact it allowed him to endure everything.

Maybe by looking at Keith's account, Isaac could see what his last expenses were and where he had spent them, if any. Maybe that would help him find out more. He blessed himself for having done a complete background on Keith giving him access to all those legal documents.

Impossible.

Keith, with the money from the palace, had only passed through the border, thus leaving the metropolis. Although he was now sure that Keith was alive, he also knew that Keith had left the city. Where was he going ? Isaac, once an inhabitant left the city had no jurisdiction, he was powerless. Only his mother had the power, and she would never concern herself with a mere servant like Keith. It was impossible for Isaac to follow him. His absence would be noticed immediately. And the pretext of a trip was also impossible, he was not in power and only Rosa could ask him to accompany her or to go on a visit. And when the queen was supervising something, she was aware of the smallest details. It was impossible to get away for a few hours to look for Keith

Isaac collapsed on the floor at the back of the house, tears streaming down his cheeks. What if Keith had just decided to leave ? What if he'd gone as far away from him as possible on purpose ? So he wouldn't see Isaac again.

He had no right to do that to him ! How could he leave him, here alone ?! Keith was so selfish. Isaac loved him so much, he wanted to rebuild the world for him.

He wouldn't let him go like that.