The Birthday Party

As Abhi descended from the mountain, he heard his phone ring in his pocket. He hesitantly answered after seeing his mother's name, already knowing what she would have to say. "Abhi, beta kaisa hai tu?? Kaha pe hai beta?? Mujhe roz tere bare mein itni fikar hoti hai...ki tu theek bhi hai ki nahi. Please beta yeh stunts karna baand kaarde. Please." 

"Maa, mujhe der ho rahi hai. Kuch important hai toh please jaldi bolo warna mein chalta hoon." 

"Beta, tera birthday do dino mein...please ghar aaja...mere liye...itne dino se teri shakal bhi nahi dekhi...aur tu itne special din pe aakele kaise rahe ga?" 

Last time he had denied coming home, Manjari had fallen sick for two months. Not wanting to risk her health yet again, he agreed...telling her that he would come home for one day and one day only. He heard the happiness in her voice upon his response, and quickly hung up the phone. 

If he wanted to reach back in time, he would have to leave tonight. He rushed back to his hotel and packed up the few things he carried with him. Before packing the diary, he checked off "climb the most dangerous mountain -- Abhi's idea" from the list. Then, he quickly closed it, gently placing it in his backpack. He opened the drawer in his nightstand and took out a small box, opening it up to make sure housekeeping had not taken what was inside...he took out his wedding ring and placed it onto his finger...just like he had every time before he left his present destination. And as he placed it onto his finger, he saw her smile...he felt her hand rest upon his, promising him humesha... promising him forever. He immediately ripped the ring from his finger and threw it back into the box...once again walking to the mirror, counting how many teeth were visible in his smile. He was going home. He was going to see his family. He was going to see the only people who ever loved him....the only people he ever loved. It was a good day. It was time to laugh, time to dance, time to sing....no...not sing. 

****

He pulled into the driveway in his car with Neil, Parth, and Shefali waiting outside for him. 

"Bhai ab toh apni bike ko wapis aapna lo..." Neil said trying to crack a joke, trying to see if he would finally see his brother genuinely laugh for the first time in a year. 

Abhi looked at him and said as lightheartedly as he could, "I hate bikes, Neil... tujhe yeh pata hai na..." And with that, he went into his house without saying another word. 

His family had decorated the walls, the ceilings with streamers, balloons, and photos of him with each of them. They all rushed to welcome him, taking him into his arms, telling him how much they had missed them. He laughed and embraced them, in his head counting how many teeth were in his smile. But, all of them knew what was behind his smile...all of them saw the emptiness in his eyes...and yet, they remained silent. As, they knew what would happen if they asked...he would deny any pain, any suffering... he would tell them to stop questioning him or else he would leave. 

Right as he was about to cut the cake, Harsh walked in through the door with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. "I hope you don't mind, Abhimaniyu. Tumhe kaafi dino se dekha nahi tha toh socha yaha pe aa jaata hoon..." 

"It's ok, sir. Thank you for coming." he said, taking the flowers from his hands. 

But, as Harsh glanced at his son's face intently, he could not help himself...he had vowed on this entire ride home to not utter a single word about her...about that girl...and yet, he blurted out the words he knew he would regret. "Us ladki ne tumhara kya ka kya kardiya hai...." 

And the minute these words left his mouth, everyone knew what was about to happen. They all held their breaths and looked at Abhimaniyu hesitantly...already sensing what was going to follow. He threw the flowers,  tossed the cake from the table, and kicked the table itself onto the ground. 

As he walked towards the door, he looked at Manjari and gently said, "maa aap se mil kar acha laga...phone karta rahun ga..." And as desperately as she wanted to stop him, she knew it would be of no use. So, she walked up to him, kissed his forehead, and told him to be safe.