The Sunrise

Abhi woke her up early the next morning, gently nudging her, stroking her hair. "Akshu...chalo utho..Akshu humhe jaana hai..." 

"Kaha jaana hai Abhi..." she mutered, her eyes still closed... 

He smiled at how at peace she looked, sleeping on his chest, turning her head away from him as if to tell him to let her sleep for longer.

"Akshu, please na...chalo...surprise hai..." 

"Abhi...." 

"Akshu please..." 

She finally gave in, opening her eyes and grinning to herself. She could not see his face amidst the darkness, but she could make out every corner of it....she knew it better than she knew herself. She kissed his forehead, asking him where they were going. 

He turned on his flashlight and led her outside, telling her to follow him, handing her a small backpack with a water bottle and some other supplies. "Abhi mein docman nahi hoon....mein yeh sab kaise karoon ghi..." she cutely whined as they started to climb a mountain. 

"Abhi...mujhe neend aa rahi hai..." 

Abhi laughed listening to her complaints...this was his Akshu...there was no one more innocent, more sweet in the entire world. "Acha baba..." he exclaimed, hoisting her onto his back, telling her to hold on tightly...telling her that he would carry her the rest of the way. 

She smiled in satisfaction, resting her head on his shoulder, watching the path in front of them turn lighter and lighter as the sun started to rise in the sky in front of them. Every once in a while she would reach out to the several trees full of berries surrounding them and pick them off, feeding him, telling him that her docman needed energy. The berries that used to taste entirely sour to him were now the sweetest ones he had ever eaten...because she was the one feeding him. 

They made it to the top of the mountain just in time for the sunrise. He set her down on the ground, watching her face light up as she saw the view that surrounded them...the sun filled the entire sky, coloring it all shades of red, yellow, and purple. 

"Abhi...yeh itna sundar hai na??", she whispered, not wanting to disturb the moment. 

"Haan, Akshu....sabse sundar", he responded, looking only at her. 

Once they had fully taken in the sight that surrounded them, he took her to the corner of the cliff and pointed to the water beneath them...it was a waterfall several feet beneath them...a waterfall that he had jumped into time and time again...each time wishing that he would not make it...each time wishing that maybe he would get swept away....each time wishing that perhaps he would get taken to a different world where she would be with him. But today, she stood beside him...the moment he had dreamt of for the past year was finally here...he would jump in with her. 

"Chalen?" he asked with a mischievous grin on his face. 

"Kahan?" 

He pointed to the water in front of them.

She stepped back scared, looking at him in horror. "Abhi...mein ne bola na ki mein docman nahi hoon...."

"Akshu...tumhe muj pe barhosa hai?"

"Khud se bhi zyada..." 

"Toh phir chalen?" 

She looked at him with hesitation in her eyes, but slowly grabbed onto his arm and closed her eyes. She was his girija...if she was falling with her hand in his, there was nothing bad that could happen...there was nothing that could go wrong...

And with that, he pulled them both off the cliff, jumping into the waters...and as she felt the hair blowing on her face, she felt herself being set free....she felt herself flying....she felt herself being relieved of the past.... 

As they splashed into the water, she opened her eyes and smiled, looking at Abhi grimacing in front of her....

Before she could speak, he started splashing her with water, saying "ab tum kaise bacho gi??" 

She laughed and splashed him back, forgetting every single worry in the world, forgetting every single moment of the year that had preceded him...entirely immersing herself into his presence...

He pulled her close to him, watching the water drip from her face, the sun shining on her face...watching her look more beautiful than she ever had...and as he lifted her chin, she looked down and asked..."Abhi yeh tum kya..."

"Mein kya?" he responded with a grin on his face, pulling her face even closer to his. 

Their hearts were beating in sync, their pulses flowing in sync, their blood rushing in sync....as he gently pressed her lips against his, taking in every ounce of her...taking in every bit of her...taking in every drop of her...