The Vote

While Akshu had been feeding Abhi, Harsh had silently stepped outside, having received a phone call from the board of the Birla Hospital. His contacts had been calling him nonstop since the night before, having watched the news and learned about what Akshu had gone through in the past year. He had been trying to avoid the calls as much as possible, wanting to keep things private, wanting to give Akshu time to heal. But this latest call was from the director of the board, and he knew he had to answer. 

"Harsh, how are you doing?" 

"We are all trying our best, thank you for asking sir." 

"Please let the board how we can support your family at this time. Especially Abhimaniyu and Akshara. This must not be easy at all for them." 

"I really appreciate it sir. I will pass on your message." 

"Acha, Harsh, unfortunately I am calling about something else to be very honest." 

"Kya hua, sir?"

"Last night, Neil told us everything, Harsh....about Mahima... and I know that is your personal matter, but the Birla hospital is a family, Harsh. And I felt obligated to inform the rest of the board..."

"Sir...." 

"Harsh, please let me finish. We decided to hold an emergency vote earlier this morning, and we have decided it will be best for the hospital if Mahima is no longer a part of it. We would like her to step down effective immediately. I thought it would be best if you informed her yourself. Acha Harsh, I have to get going to my next meeting. But let her know today if possible," he said in a hurry, hanging up the phone. 

As Harsh turned off his phone, he turned around to see Neil standing behind him. "I'm sorry...."

"Beta, sorry mat bolo. Tum ne jo kuch bhi kiya, sahi kiya. I am proud of you." Harsh said, patting his son's shoulder, walking back inside, ready to break the news to his bhabhi, whom he hoped would be leaving both this house and the hospital today....