Homecoming

He had told Manjari that he was coming home with a surprise and to invite the Goenkas over too. She had not heard him sound this peaceful, this happy in the past year. While she didn't ask him what it was or why the sudden change in his tone, her heart knew that there was only one thing...one person it could be. So, as the hour of their arrival neared, she stood by the door with an aarti in her hands. Everyone else stood around her confused, entirely unaware of what was about to happen. 

"Manjari...yeh sab ho kya raha hai? Tum ne Abhimaniyu se pucha kyun nahi?", Harsh asked, annoyed, pacing back and forth. 

"Haan Manjari ji...woh mujhe bhi bahut dar lag raha hai...", replied Swarna, looking at Manish for reassurance. 

But, before Manjari could answer, the doorbell rang. 

Abhi held Akshu's hand as tightly as he could, staring into her eyes, nodding, giving her all of the comfort she needed. He felt her hand trembling in his and used his thumb to stroke her fingers, trying his best to help her calm down. 

"Akshu abhi bhi time hai...bhagna hai toh bhag lete hain...", he whispered with a smirk on his face, desperate to see her smile. 

She gently shook her head, staring at the door, keeping track of her breaths...

Unable to see her like this, he pulled her into his arms, holding her as close as possible, pressing her against his chest, grasping her shoulders strongly in his hands..."Akshu, breath...breath....baba, please breath..." 

Hearing his soothing voice, feeling his body so close to her's, she finally felt her heart rate start to calm down. She looked up at him and mouthed "thank you..." 

He glared back at her, his one look enough to tell her that he would not tolerate her thanking him...that this was the reason he was alive... 

And with that, the doors opened....