The Church

When she woke up from her nap, he helped her get dressed and asked her to go on a walk with him. She had resisted, but he had told her that the second she felt uncomfortable, the second she wanted to come back inside, they would turn around. 

They walked hand in hand along the riverside, neither one of them saying a single word....both of them taking in each other's company, taking in the serenity that surrounded them. Every once in a while, Abhi would turn his head to look at her, to make sure she was okay...feeling his gaze on her, she would look at him softly and smile, trying her best to reassure him not to worry. 

As they started to get higher into the mountains, he saw a small church a little ways ahead in the distance. "Akshu?" 

"Haan?" 

"Woh church dhek rahi ho?" 

"Haan Abhi..." 

He softly bent down on one knee and took her hand into his. "Kya tum mujh se shaadi karo gi?" 

"Abhi...humari shaadi toh ho chuki hai na?" 

"Haan toh? Kya hum doobara shaadi nahi karsakte?"

"Abhi..."

"Haan bolo na. Kya mein itna ganda lagta hoon tumhe?", he asked, trying to make her smile. 

Before she could answer, he kissed her hand and said, "Akshu...hum ne ek doosre se ek sal alag bitaya hai...ek saal hum ek doosre se door rahe hain....aaj mein tum ko doobara se apni patni banana chata hoon...bas ek vaade ke saath...ki chaiye kuch bhi hojaye...ab mein tumhe kabhi bhi apne se door nahi jane doonga... kabhi nahi...aur jis din aisa hua na, woh mera akhri din hoga..."

She put her hand over her lips, angrily telling him, "Abhi...aisa bolne ka tum sochna bhi maat...tumhare bina mein mar jayungi..."

With that, he covered her mouth, both of them cupping each other's cheeks, staring deeply into each other's eyes, staring into the depths of each other's souls. 

And as they started walking towards the church, they saw a priest standing outside, almost as if he had been waiting for them. He looked at them and smiled, "I see that god has tied you together for the rest of time and beyond, my kids...tell me, what can I do for you?" 

And for the first time in forever, Abhi saw his Akshu genuinely smile...for just a second, he saw the sparkle return to her eyes...hearing that they were meant to be together forever, for eternity, her heart found the solace, the peace it was seeking. And seeing her smile, his entire soul, his entire being beamed with nothing but bliss, nothing but joy. 

They went inside and were tied together in the bond of holy matrimony once again in this small church in the mountains where there was no one but them...where there was nothing but their love, their togetherness...nothing but their souls intertwined...nothing but their hearts beating in sync. 

And in their vows, what they promised each other was simple...the simple promise of loving each other, protecting each other, cherishing each other...the simple promise of never leaving each other's side. The simple promise of never letting go of each other ever again...