Chapter 1: Extended Stay

Thirteen days ago...

'So...I did it. I found a loophole. This is probably the last time I'm gonna write in this journal, since by the time someone finds this, I'm already in hell. That's right, I'm extending my stay down there.'

Back to present day, sirens wail all throughout the metropolis that is Pentagram City. Corpses scatter about, giving the city its yearly coat of red. Hundreds, if not thousands of winged spearmen swarm the scarlet realm, purging every demon within their sight.

'...But not forever. Purgatory isn't an option for me anymore, and I've been too far into the extermination program to back down now...'

One of these spearmen studied the corpses in front of them with an emotionless smile, flying away satisfied that all demons in the area were purged accordingly.

'And this loophole? I made a deal with the angel who I thought was Naomi...Yeah, I know. The person who I met and befriended eight months ago, her name's not Naomi. I guess I should've seen it coming...I kept noticing how she hides the fact that she knows more than she's letting on.'

At least that's what it thought. One of these corpses turned their head and watched as the spearman left, silently getting back up while their back was still turned to them. The angel snapped their head to the demon, summoning a spear of light.

'The deal is that I'm supposed to help her retrieve a copy of her grimoire. Now how I'm supposed to do that, when that book isn't exactly available to the public in heaven? I'm gonna accompany her down to hell for it. And all for this one missing page.'

The demon's fight or flight response kicked in, snapping back to reality as they dodge the incoming spear. The demon made a run for it, leaving footprints of red as they ran past the puddles of blood. They were fast, but the angel was faster.

'In exchange? In her words, she'll let me absorb her angelic energy. She says that doing so will finally make me eligible for a permanent heavenly citizenship. That means no more dumb chores per sin, and no killing any demons to make me eligible either. Any sin that I commit before that wouldn't matter anymore.'

The demon paid no attention to the sounds of horror and the brutal mutilation that occurred around them. All that mattered was that they needed to outrun this bloodthirsty being. The sound of spears piercing through flesh were blocked by the demon's racing pulse, their breathing becoming more and more labored.

'Was I dumb for taking the risk? Probably. There's a lot of fishy stuff about Naomi- ehem, I mean Bronwyn. At least, that's the name she wanted to go by. I know it's not my business, but I can't help but wonder what's in that missing page that would be worth going to hell for?'

The angel behind them summoned more spears, missing the demon as they made a sharp turn. They didn't see the spears, but the sound of the impacts were too close for comfort.

'But hey. She has her secrets, and I have mine. And besides, thirteen days by now will be my first extermination day. And sure, I made it clear to myself that I wouldn't perma-kill a single demon, but that's not the reason why I'm nervous. With this extended stay, I'll learn more about hell without worrying about being too corrupted to go back.'

'Sides...I've been stuck in a place with bad people for ten years.'

Relief washed over the demon, spotting an alleyway familiar to them. They wasted no time running to where they needed to go, knowing the angel was still behind them. They were finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. They looked back to see the angel no longer on air.

'What's some more?'

That cold artificial smile would be the last thing that the demon will see. A spear shot through the demon's eye, and pierced through their brain. The angelic hunter watched with glee as the demon fell on their knees. It scanned the room for others, walking past the demon as it dropped dead on the floor.