Chapter 7: Night Shift

(A/n, November 3 2022: Chapters 3 and 5 have been updated to solve plot holes. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. As an apology for that, and breaking my weekly publishing streak, the word count of this chapter is 5k+ instead of the usual 3k+. Happy reading!)

____________________________________________________________________________________

Demons. Everywhere she went, there always had to be demons. Crowding every last space and littering the realm. Even after the yearly cleanse, they still spread their disease like rats...

Bumping into each one however, did not instigate any fear and irritation more than the absence of that gun. If anything, each insult she received fell on death ears as she waded through the crowd.

What was she thinking? Leaving such a valuable item with a demon? Maybe she did deserve hell after all with that idea of hers. What would her brothers and sisters say?

What would Adina say?...

Mara's chest tightened, and her sweat was as cold as ice. No. She must stay level-headed. Panic is what made her lose that gun in the first place.

Where could that girl possibly have went to? Is she in another floor? What floor is Mara even in right now? Is that girl even still in this hotel?

'Charlotte should know, right?!' she thought, hurriedly climbing down the stairs, her heels echoing faint sounds as she climbed down the maroon carpet. As much as she didn't want to start over again, this is a trial that sloth cannot win.

She's passed one, two, three, exactly how many floors has she scoured already?

No. Focus. Charlotte must be at the lobby, where she usually is. The series of stairs finally ended, leading her back to where she first combed through.

Thankfully, her intuition was right. There stood Charlotte, with Vaggie beside her. The latter protectively pointed her spear at a new face. A new client? The green-eyed beast gave no regard to the moth's cold glare, her focus only on her bright green nails.

"Calm down, Vaggie..." Charlie nervously spoke. "I'm sure Helsa won't do anything too bad..."

Vaggie looked at her like she just lost her mind. "Have you forgotten everything she did to you?!" She objected. "She's why you grew up getting laughed at in the first place!"

"Believe me, I would've loved to take the credit." The gray demoness, now known as Helsa, taunted with a sneer. "But be honest with yourself, Morningstar. Anyone else would've done the same if they were on my stilettos."

"Then what the hell are you doing here, if you so fucking hate the place?!"

"Awww, is the watchdog angwy?"

Charlie quickly got between the two demonesses before another fight breaks out.

"Hey now, maybe we should take a deep breath and-"

"Oh she should take a deep breath." Helsa pointed at Vaggie with one of her tendrils. "Not me."

"Is this how you greet an old friend, Morningstar?"

Vaggie clutched her spear tighter, murmuring Spanish insults with gritted teeth.

With unsureness in her voice, Charlie answered Helsa's question with another question.

"What's an 'old friend' doing here then? The hotel's already gathered a lot of clients and-"

"Aww, have you forgotten?" Helsa cooed. "Your daddy said at least three clients and staff have to stay too."