Chapter 11: Shitty Sleep Patterns

It's been some hours now since (Y/n) left. For Mara, it made it easier to keep it all a surprise, but at the same time, she wished that girl didn't leave as often. No, focus. The last time she loved someone, it turned into obsession, and it drove him away. 

Maybe it's just best for them to remain friends. She rather remain friends with her than drive her away in another attempt to find love. But at the same time, there's still a stubborn part of her that wants to repeat that same mistake. 

Why is she like this? Two parts of herself are constantly at war with each other. First, it's whether or not Charlotte can be trusted, second, whether or not she's actually worthy, and now this? 

Second-guessing.

Her biggest flaw.

No matter. She walked with a feeling of at least some accomplishment, knowing she used up every bullet. Of course, her job was far from done. She still had to find that amulet Adina spoke of. Mara had no clue why a demon would have that in their possession, but it's supposed to be the key to her escape. So far, of all the bodies she left, none of them had it. 

One thing she noted was how weirdly empty the hallways were. In contrast to the loud sounds this hotel is usually subjected to, all that was there were her footsteps being muffled by the carpet. She was far from complaining, but it was just...eerie. Like something was waiting to catch her by surprise. 

Did they found out? Were they evacuated? She hoped not, it would make finding that amulet harder. She swung one of the doors open, seeing luggage and boxes still inside. She then did the same to the room beside it, and the next. Tedious as this was, she doubted that she would get another opportunity to scour each room without the worry of others seeing her.

This...might take a while...

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Where...is everyone?"

Many minutes, possibly and hour has passed, and that was all Charlie could mutter at the emptiness of the fifteenth floor. She has only returned to the hotel after doing a bit of groceries, only to come back to many empty floors. The only people she saw thus far was Husk, Oliver and another child, and Alastor's rival that he didn't remember, apparently.

She swore she even saw a tumbleweed of demonic dust bunnies roll by.

They couldn't have found other places already, right? Did she, Vaggie, or Alastor intimidate them? Wasn't the place welcoming enough? 

Some of the doors were left open, revealing some luggage through the cracks. Charlie sighed in relief, thankful she didn't have to enter panic mode again. She swore, if Alastor brought them all here just to scare them away to prank her, she'll go nuts.

There are at least two people that should still be in their rooms. Vaggie was still fast asleep when Charlie was last at their room, but she did remember (Y/n) being awake just two hours after her shift ended. Maybe it'd be a good idea to check on her. What was her room number again?

"Going somewhere with those bags, dear?" Alastor asked, startling the poor girl.

"Alastor! Yeah, I just came back after buying ingredients for a little surprise." The princess nervously spoke. "C-could you not appear behind people like that?"

"Well where's the fun in that?"

"Why-" "But never mind that, sweetheart!" He continued, shoving his finger on Charlie's lips. "You look like a sweaty teenager on their picture taking day!"

"A-about that..." She nervously said, pushing his finger away. "Where is everyone?"

"Haven't you heard, dear? Everyone's at the top floors having some sort of occasion! You never said anything about the hotel having an indoor pool at the very top!"