Chapter 20: Before The Actual Activities

It was easy to lose track of time, with the amount of mob work (Y/n) found herself doing. Well, it was mostly Arackniss that actually handled stuff, she only came into the picture as a second hand.

But despite checking each and every location off the list, and finding herself in violent situations, none yielded her any useful information.

Why won't she just track down the choker's owner in the first place, then? Bee did say whoever owned it have a likelier chance of knowing about magic items, right?

Well- in her defense, Frenzy mentioned it belonged to a literal royal. She didn't know who, exactly, but she dead knew they wouldn't be happy to see her.

So now, she's back in front of the hotel gates, fresh from helping a mobster with his chores, and making a lot of new enemies in the process. No pain, no gain, right?

At least now that she's back, she could just take a nap until the clock strikes 2pm. She can already feel it. The soft cushions of her bed, and the fuzzy blanket that kept her warm.

Walking into the lobby, she was happily greeted by the refreshing cold air. A nice change from the hot climate outside, but she didn't remember the lobby having air conditioners.

Of course, she'd soon find out about what happened while she was gone, one of which being the two newly installed air conditioners at the corners of the lobby.

Complimenting the newly renovated building was the line of people chattering amongst themselves. The people specifically were dawning 1910s American clothing, giving enough of a clue on what time period they were from. The odd thing was, they weren't lining in front of the receptionist' table.

So (Y/n) decided to see where the line led her.

What was supposed to be a hint only led to more questions, as she made her way past the lobby and into the halls and waiting rooms.

But the subject of the chatter was enough to give her a better clue. This rumored Golden Hour Diner, and it used to be just a local legend in whatever the 'colony' was, and-

Oh no, they're the cannibals she was warned about...

Should she tell Charlie? The croupier did say that cannibal attacks happened a lot at the cinema. Is that why there was so much carnage at said cinema's entrance? Then again, they seem to be a lot friendlier compared to her neighbors and coworkers...kind of.

So she followed the line, figuring she might find Charlie there. As if she needed more confirmation with what the line of people were talking about, the dining hall was packed to the brim with them.

Some were delighted at the food served to them, others were filling the silence with small conversations, while others cooed at their waiters. Said waiters being Pentious' egg minions, being showered by sweet little compliments.

They weren't the only ones in the receiving end either. Both of Charlie's demonic goat assistants, now known as Razzle and Dazzle, were passing around hotel brochures to each and every customer, in hopes that more would consider checking in.

Well, at least Razzle was. Dazzle was too busy being pinched on the cheek by a glass demoness, much to his twin's dismay.

The overall atmosphere was actually nice. The glow of the plants illuminated the warm room, the little egg guys entered and exited the kitchen with carts of food for room service, and while people were just enjoying themselves.

There wasn't a lot of violence, fights, not even a single cuss word came out of their mouths.

It was surreal compared to the rest of hell (Y/n) experienced so far, especially considering that they're literally cannibals. But then again, that was probably just how it was when they were alive.