Chapter 18: Sympathy And Apathy

The meeting went on for about fifteen minutes. It wasn't exactly smooth-sailing, but it wasn't anymore chaotic than what was considered normal for the hotel staff. While the amount of new writings on the whiteboard suggested otherwise, there were less people interested in the meeting than Charlie would like to admit.

Within those fifteen minutes, (Y/n) kept redirecting her attention to the meeting, ignoring the occasional buzzing her phone did inside her pocket. As much as she wanted to know what it could be, she saved it for later, feeling Alastor unmoving as he continued to stand beside her.

Alastor, this person she thought was just another colleague she shared a roof with, was a powerful overlord this whole time?! What about when she saw his shadow, what was that about?! Sure, (Y/n) can have some sense of safety knowing Charlie outranked him, but...

Eventually, the meeting ended. The day crew left to begin their shifts, while the night crew went to change back to their normal clothes. As for (Y/n)? Right after a final check of making sure no radio demons were watching her, she finally opened the phone to see what all the fuss was about.

Nothing too serious at first. Ribbon sending gifs of corgis, or whatever these hell versions are called, Oddity sending a selfie with who she assumed was a coworker behind him, a picture of Samara with someone she ran over with a motorcy- wait no, that last one was definitely serious.

But then something stood out. A thread of updates from Raihan about what he and the Ragno don agreed on. Some progress was already made, with members of both groups being assigned together for different tasks, including normal mob work like selling whatever contrabands they sold, and loan sharking.

Then there was a selfie with a tired Raihan holding a slice of bread, with more vegemite than what an Australian would recommend, captioned 'brb, gonna fight god'. As much as (Y/n) felt dirty for internally chuckling at the joke, that's not what caught her attention.

On the table where the jar of vegemite stood, were papers upon papers sprawled everywhere. So she zoomed the image. And right there, next to the list of feminine sounding usernames titled 'The Bucket List', was a list of locations for an unknown gang member to stop by. The same locations associated with the former hosts who were more likely to know something about that missing page.

Looks like she's going back to the hangout.

Now familiar with Enigma's writing style, she typed into the phone, and sent a message replying to Raihan's.

'Enigma: Hey, that list with vegemite on it. Mind if I tag along with whoever that list is for?'

And so Raihan began to type.

'Raihan: That's for one of Henroin's guys, so I'm not sure. Maybe I can pull in some strings for you and see if that works.'

'Enigma: Aighty, take your time.'

Heading back to her room, she only made a quick stop to change back into her normal hoodie getup. No wonder Enigma used it so much, with how durable this thing is, even to fire. Right after changing, she went in front of her vanity table. Specifically for an item on it.

Ever since she took that arachnid's pistol, she's held to it ever since. She didn't know why, since she doesn't even know how to use a gun in the first place, but she kept it anyway. Combat weapons could only get her so far, and angelic weapons like firearms were usually reserved for archangels and powers, two things (Y/n) was not.

Nonetheless, she took the pistol with her.

(Y/n) had one more thing in mind before leaving the room. Lying beside the now finished piglet plush was the electric bass she bought. Seeing as no paint held on to her fingers, the repainted bass has finished drying, and is now ready for use.