Chapter 6: Fallen Follies

"So you're saying all of that happened, but you never got a single bruise?" 

Mara turned to her friend beside her. She could tell her right now...

...Or she could keep it as a surprise.

She chuckled. "It was almost like it was a miracle."

"So was finding you, y'know?" (Y/n) chimed. "I went around asking and didn't get a good answer until- I dunno, an hour?"

The firefly shook her head. "After trying that last time, you thought that would've worked?"

"To be fair, it did! I found a little kid with cool pan flute skills! She left already for some reason, and I haven't given her the jellybeans I promi-" She paused, unable to find the bag of candy in her pockets.

"...Nevermind, she pickpocketed them..."

Mara shook her head. "You should've known better, (Y/n). Young or not, they all want to take advantage of you."

"I mean-" (Y/n) shrugged. "Flakka could've stolen the phone and wallet too..."

As the two got past the hotel's gates, a familiar honey badger watched them from the shadows.

"...But she didn't."

____________________________________________________________________________________

'Okay Charlie, think...'

'...What else am I missing?'

Back at the hotel, Charlie stood in front of the entrance doors. 

It was...messy. 

Some of the guests have been caught stealing bottles from the bar, littering cigarette butts, reading porn magazines...

Some grew tired at the demons cheering loudly as they watched their favorite sports team win, while others, knowing they were under the same roof as the radio demon, could only glare at each other instead of breaking into fights.

Everything that the hotel was supposed to discourage...

But for hell's standards? It was...calm.

...So why did Charlie felt agitated?

As thankful as she was now that the tension between the staff and clients have simmered, the same could not be said for the turf wars outside. Just after the acid downpour stopped, those that sought refuge from it has already left.

So what about when the explosions calm down? Will everyone else leave too?

...Most of them did say they were only here temporarily...

So for now, Charlie's main focus is to win them over with hospitality.

"Is anyone else cold?" She asked around. " There's still some blankets left!"

...Nobody stepped in...

It slowly became evident that winning them over with hospitality wouldn't be easy either.

Was she acting too intimidating? Is it her title? Should she take down the royal paintings?

Maybe it was the rundown look of the interior? The furniture and some items was scattered everywhere, and the peeling wallpaper really isn't helping either. She made a mental note about it before focusing on what else she could do.

Warmth? No, everyone had blankets, and the fireplace was lit and functioning...

Food? No, jambalaya was already being served...