Chapter 6

Chay's eyes darted between Macau's feet and his face, waiting. Suddenly Macau's hand flew straight for his face, no, his throat. Chay stepped back and swerved out of the way. He readjusted his balance and waited again, keeping his hands up as he had been taught. He could tell Macau was giving him more time to adjust and prepare for the next attack than it would be in a real fight, a gesture that he appreciated.

Chay noticed Macau move his right foot back and put his weight onto his left, a roundhouse. As Chay predicted Macau moved his body, raising his right leg and swinging for Chay's stomach. Again, Chay jumped out of the way, just missing Macau's foot, watching as Macau pivoted to face him, a small smile on his face. Chay noticed something shift in his eye, well crap, he is going all in. Chay braced himself just before Macau rushed him with an onslaught of attacks. 2 jabs to the face, one after the other. Chay only just moved his head to avoid them. An attack to his stomach, to which he quickly jumped out of the way. But Macau was relentless, he did another roundhouse, then another, still Chay dodged, spinning around to avoid the attacks. Before he could recover though, Macau aimed one more attack on his throat.

Chay couldn't dodge, he hadn't recovered his balance from the last attack, so he blocked grabbing Macau's wrist stopping the strike. Macau seemed shocked at his change in fighting but smiled as he went to attack Chay's stomach. Chay grabbed his other wrist, realising his mistake too late as Macau brought both his arms to his chest pulling Chay with him and causing him to lose balance. Macau took the chance and hooked his leg around Chay's pushing him back, tripping him over. Chay fell to the ground but tightened his hold on Macau taking him down with him.

Time seemed to slow as Chay fell to the ground, pulling Macau with him. Macau smiled at him as they landed on the mat and looked into each other's eyes. Chay had never got a chance to truly admire the three different shades of brown that consisted of his eyes, the dark rim around the two shades of amber surrounding his pupils. Chay could hear his blood pumping in his ears, the adrenaline still rushing through his body. Macau broke the eye contact, staring down at their still conjoined hands, 'Are you planning on letting me go any time soon?' he said grinning.

Chay looked down at his hands as well as if just realising he was still holding on to him before quickly letting him go, 'oh, sorry,' he said looking away shyly as Macau got off from on top of him, his eyes sparkling with humour, and stood up, holding his hand out for Chay. Chay smiled up at him and grabbed his outreached hand, Macau hauling him up from off the ground. This time Chay let go of his hand and took a step back, needing some distance to take a breath. 'Well?' he said to Macau, 'how did I do?'

Macau smiled at him, 'Better than expected, for a newbie at least.' At that, Chay beamed, in the last 2 hours he learnt how to dodge most of Macau's attacks, and, although he did lose the fight, at least he brought Macau down with him.

'At this rate, I will be able to take you down soon.' Chay said smiling at Macau's face.

'In your dreams,' he deadpanned before turning around and heading back to the fridge, a small smile on his face.

Chay smiled in knowing as he followed Macau and finished the bottle of water he had started earlier. He looked at Macau, 'I want to go again,' he said determinedly. Chay knew why he was getting this training, he knew that one day he would probably have to use it, so he wanted to know as much as possible.

Macau looked at him, a hint of confusion on his face, but nodded, 'If that's what you want to do.' Chay gave him a firm nod and made his way back to the mat, this time with Macau following after him. Chay faced Macau and got into the fighting position, determination written on his face. He could see any concern leave Macau's face as got into his own fighting stance and, after double checking Chay was ready, started his attack once again.

After another hour and a half of attack after attack and more than a few bruises, on Chay, of course, Macau called to stop. Chay collapsed onto the mat and took a moment to catch his breath, relaxing his tense muscles. Macau sat opposite him and started stretching his legs, advising Chay to do the same, 'you'll regret it later if you don't.' Slowly Chay stretched out his legs and reached for his toes, not even surprised when his hand only just went past his knee.

Chay laughed at his lack of flexibility and Macau gave him a small smile, continuing to show him different stretches to do. Chay copied him, laughing in self-pity as it was demonstrated again and again the flexibility of Macau, and his lack thereof.

When they finished stretching, Chay looked at Macau with curiosity, before deciding to just ask him the question that had been itching at him since they started. 'Macau,' he said, getting his attention, 'why are you doing this?' At his raised eyebrows Chay elaborated, 'what I mean is, what's in it for you to be teaching me to fight?'

Macau raised an eyebrow, 'Does there have to be something in it for me?' he asked.

'Isn't there?' Chay countered.

Macau smirked at him, 'Fine there is.' Chay gave Macau a look that said he wasn't going to drop it. Macau sighed, 'through me training you, it makes a statement to those who might not look favourably upon me.'

'Not favourably?'

Macau sighed, 'I'm guessing you know about how the Minor Clan, lead by my father, tried to overthrow the Main family?' At Chay's nod, he continued, 'well, people don't easily forgive those who kill their companions, and tend to hold those related to them responsible as well.'

'But you weren't involved in any of that, were you?' Chay asked cautiously.

Macau shook his head, 'No, I knew about it, but I wasn't involved in any of what happened.'

Chay looked to the ground glad Macau wasn't part of the massacre that happened only a few days ago. But that still didn't explain how training him helped, 'so why is training me making a statement?'

Macau let out a short laugh at Chay's relentlessness, 'since you are Porsche's brother, and Porsche entrusted you to me to train you, it tells everyone that he trusts and needs me. Basically, since the head of the clan has got me doing a task so important, no one can touch me. Porsche is protecting you as well as me.'

Chay smiled, 'that sounds like my brother.'

Macau gave Chay a sad smile, 'must be nice to have a brother like that.'

Chay realised what he said and Macau's situation with his own brother, 'I'm sor-'

'Don't be,' Macau said, cutting him off. 'Never be sorry for having something good in your life that another person doesn't, you just have to make sure to appreciate it more.' Chay processed Macau's words as he stood up and started talking again, 'well that's the end of today's lesson, I'll see you at the same time tomorrow.'

Chay looked up at Macau, a mischievous glint in his eye, 'so late?' he said smiling.

Macau gave him a glare before smiling, 'I'll be here before 10:00, so don't think you can turn up late just because I did.'

'I wouldn't dream of it,' Chay replied, causing Macau to smile as he walked off shaking his head, giving him a backwards wave before leaving the room.

Chay just smiled to himself and collapsed on the mat once more, relaxing his still aching muscles.