Chapter 14

Kyoko was waiting in her room for Makoto, pacing back and forth a little. Was this a bad idea? I mean Makoto had no reason to get dragged into this case. It was clear that Kyoko should keep this to herself, but could she do this without help? There was a sudden knock on the door. She swung open the door and pulled them in. Luckily it was her boyfriend Makoto. She darted her eyes around the hall before shutting it and locking the door. A soft sigh left her lips.

"Is it.. really that secretive?" Makoto asked with a soft gulp.

"Sorry. I'm just kind of on edge." Kyoko looked down.

Makoto frowned softly and approached her. He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a warm hug. "It's okay. Your work requires you to be a bit secretive.. I just want to help you feel less stressed. I want to be the one you come to with any problems or concerns that you have."

The room was quiet for a moment. Then Kyoko removed herself from Makoto, avoiding eye contact. "Can I... show you something?" She asked softly.

"Of course! Anything at all!" Makoto smiled.

Kyoko, with her back turned to him slowly slid off her gloves. She turned around to reveal the scars lining her hands. She avoided eye contact and sighed.

Makoto was a bit shocked as he stared at them. He opened his mouth to say something but was cut off by Kyoko.

"It happened during my first detective mission. I was inexperienced. I really don't want to go into detail about it."

Makoto closed his mouth and walked toward her. She was still looking down as Makoto took both of her hands in his. She looked up at him and saw a goofy grin.

"You're still the most beautiful girl I have seen." He kissed her head.

Kyoko stared at him as a soft blush crept across her face. "I see." She cleared her throat and slid her gloves back onto her hands. "I am looking into the Genocide Jack case."

Makoto didn't hesitate to respond. He knew it was a touchy subject, so he let it go. For her sake. "Really? Isn't that like.. a notorious serial killer? That sounds dangerous.."

"Don't worry. My job is merely to investigate. I am not required to track down the killer. All of the evidence leads to a high schooler. That attends Hope's Peak."

"Wait really!? That's crazy! It could be anybody! That's terrifying.."

"Makoto remember that this is classified information. You cannot give this information to anybody. Do you understand?"

Makoto saluted. "Yes ma'am!" He smiled at her.

Kyoko rolled her eyes but smiled softly. "The killer also has some sort of attraction to men."

"Interesting.."

"Anyways. Enough about that." Kyoko sat on her bed, where Makoto soon joined her.

The two sat in silence for a little bit, just enjoying each other's company.