Chapter 5

"Huh?" Makoto asked.

"What do you think of me?" Kyoko repeated, looking at her lap.

"Uh... What do you mean?"

"Why do you talk to me? I'm quiet most of the time, and I never have much to talk about."

"That's not true at all! You're a detective. I'm sure you have a lot to talk about!" Makoto encouraged.

Kyoko smiled a soft smile.

"So... Is that what was wrong?" Makoto asked her after a small pause.

"No. I suppose my mood has not been a hundred percent since my fight with Toko."

"Oh... That makes sense." Makoto scratched his head.

"But, I don't know why."

"Well... Because you two are friends right?"

Kyoko paused for a minute. "Friends... I'm a detective. I don't have time for friends. They would only get in the way of my investigations."

"What? Who told you that!? Friends are great! They always have your back... And you can talk to them, and they keep you from getting bored!" Makoto explained with a smile. "It doesn't matter if you're a detective. I'll always be you're friend!"

Kyoko was a bit wide eyed looking at him because of that last part. Then she smiled. "Thank you Makoto. I'll remember that. I'll apologize to Toko tomorrow."

"Right! Sounds great!" Makoto smiled.

"Well it's getting late. You should head back to your room." Kyoko said standing up and fixing her hair.

"Ah... Right." Makoto said as he left Kyoko's room.

Makoto was walking to his room when he realized something. "Wait... Did I just... Friend-zone myself?" He asked himself out loud.

The next day hit and Makoto told Sayaka about the whole thing.

Sayaka laughed softly. "So.. She smiled at you?"

"Yeah..." Makoto sat up.

Sayaka smiled wide.

"Huh? What?" Makoto asked before seeing Kyoko walk into the room out of the corner of his eye.

Kyoko walked to Toko. "Toko. I apologize for making you angry. I do hope we can still be friends." She said, bowing her head softly.

Toko gasped. "D-do you r-really mean that...?"

Kyoko paused for a moment. "Yes
I do."

"S-so we're friends...?" Toko asked with a hint of excitement in her eye.

Kyoko nodded.

"A-awesome!" Toko smiled a weird smile and giggled softly.

Kyoko glanced over at Makoto, and their eyes met for a few seconds before the both of them looked away.

Sayaka smiled her smile, causing Makoto to blush more.