Chapter 17

She was just laid there, staring up at her bedroom ceiling. Was he feeling the same dejectedness as her? Was he happy with his decision? She hadn't done anything for three days, just laid there in the same bed, in the same oversized navy grey t-shirt with the same black pyjama shorts and her hair still in the same poorly made bun she'd shoved it in three days prior. She hadn't showered, gotten dressed, anything.

Every and any thought flew around her mind, what happened with Wilbur, what she could've done to make it all better, what might've happened if she didn't say yes. She stayed like that for three hours, just circulating the same questions, over and over again.

Alette had stayed with her throughout the duration of that time and even picked up a small part-time job. That night was a reality check for them both, and led to one deciding on staying whilst the other fell into an endless rabbit hole. Alette had woken Alaeia up once the cab sat outside her sisters' flat block, and with the help of a groggy Wilbur, managed to get her inside and ready for her bed. After that Alette went on about her night normally as soon as she waved off Ash and Wilbur. She liked Ash, he was a nice guy. They had a few of the same interests too, like playing the bass guitar or collecting tattoos as if their bodies were empty books.

~

Eventually she got tired of her own thoughts, and managed to sit up in her bed. She dragged her legs off her bed and slowly stood up, making sure to take time so she could dissolve the dizziness. Once her head stopped spinning she shuffled over to her drum kit and sat down on the small leather stool, pressing record on the microphone setup next to it and picking up her purple-wrapped drumsticks.

Alaeia was certain her neighbours would be complaining about the noise, but she didn't care. A repeated beat was made and eventually led into a louder and more fast paced chorus before slowly returning to the original, quieter beat, she hummed along to it as she began imagining the lyric theme.

She soon finished and pressed 'stop' on the recording as she moved over to her desk to grab her notepad and sitting back on her bed, cross-legged.

~
I fucking hate the word 'yes'
It has so many meanings when context is in place, yet has so little meaning to me.
I fucking hate him, too.
Why do I always say yes to him?
I guess he is kinda cute.
~

Sure, they weren't lyrics at all, but it felt nice to write down how she felt. She didn't really hate him. She just felt angry that she agreed to his actions. I mean, what kind of guy just walks up to someone and asks to kiss them? And why did she like it? Why did he run away so quickly after it, too? Ugh.

A message notification interrupted her thought cycle with a loud ping. After a swift look, she realised it was from Celia. She also managed to glimpse the time before having to look back a second time.

03:42 am

CeCe <3
Hey sweets, it's been a while since we last spoke. I just want to k... read more

Surely it wouldn't hurt to at least read the message, right? What was Celia even doing awake at this time anyway?

CeCe <3

Hey sweets, it's been a while since we last spoke. I just want to know if you're okay. That's all I ask. I'm coming over tomorrow, or rather in a few hours. If you're reading this straight after I've sent it, then get your ass to sleep before I force you to. I love you, okay?

Hey cece, I'm okay. I think, at least. I'd tell you the same with the sleep,
but you'd never listen. I can't wait to see you! I love you too, so fucking much.
Read 03:51 am

~

At least she's trying. Alaeia thought to herself, sighing as she turned off her fairy lights and fell back into her bed, burying herself snugly under the covers yet again and falling patchily into an on and off sleep. The window to the right of her bed was still slightly open, wafting a soft breeze around the room along with the comforting aroma of lavender from next doors mini window garden.

~

The stupidly loud doorbell rung three times, waking up an extremely comfortable Alaeia and forcing her to go and open her door to the rude visitor. The clock on the living room wall must've been read incorrectly as she passed it, surely it wasn't already 3 o'clock?

Celia eagerly jumped on her best friend as she tiredly opened the front door, enveloping her in a bear hug. She then ushered Alaeia inside and sat her on the couch as she wandered off towards the kitchen.

"Cels, you really don't have to-" Alaeia began before being cut off by Celia yelling back that she wanted to.
"Nonsense! I doubt you've eaten anything nutritious in the past few days. I'm making you some food and we can catch up whilst you eat." She spoke, the motherly tone Alaeia had heard many times before taking it's righteous place with her words.