Chapter 14

It had been three days since the unexpected call from Alette, and now Alaeia was sat in her office, sighing as she closed another useless tab. Work had been slow recently, which caused some boredom amongst the various coworkers. The company Alaeia worked for wasn't as well known as others, but were extremely good at what they did.

Alaeia worked for one of those phone companies that weren't always reliable - the kind that left you on hold for two hours. They gave a good pay and appreciated their employees a lot, so it wasn't too bad. The staff were all friendly and although the work days were slow, it was enjoyable.

A knock on the door had pulled her out of her bored daze, causing her to look up. The figure of her strangely attractive supervisor was leant against the doorframe, her blonde curls loosely framing her face. The supervisor was named Erica, and she was fairly young for her work role, higher up in the chain than regular workers her age, but she was indeed a more focused worker.

"Hey sweetheart, just checking up on ya." She spoke with a slightly southern accent - she had said before that she was originally from Essex, 'born and raised' as she said - and sometimes you could definitely hear it. Alaeia nodded, turning in her office chair and gesturing for the blonde haired woman to come into the office.

As Erica sat in the spare chair, she smiled encouragingly towards Alaeia.

"So, how have you been? I know it's been slow recently - but I'm assuming that's a good thing when it comes to your narcolepsy." Alaeia nodded again, the woman had always slightly intimidated her, but then again she was so sweet to her.

"I'll be honest, I'm quite happy with the slowness. Sure, it's helpful with the narcolepsy too - but with less stress, comes less sleep attacks. I mean, they still pop up now and again, but they aren't as bad as they are when it's busy." Erica nodded at her words, taking in every movement the girl before her made. She smiled at how she made gestures to go along with her words.

"Hm, how would you feel if we lessened your workload when it gets busy? Only by a bit - of course. It might help with the stress."

Alaeia sat back in her chair, sure - it'd be nice with less stress, but the amount of work she was given daily was a nice way of distracting her. She twiddled her fingers slowly as she thought, a dazed look appearing on her features.

"I can see that you need a bit to think about it. Come see me when you think you've decided." Erica smiled, getting off her chair and walking back to the door, "oh! I almost forgot, come by my office before you clock out please. I've got something to give you." She smiled again, walking out of the doorframe and back into the empty halls, hips swaying slightly with every step.

A visit to her office? Something to give me? I'm fired, aren't I?

~

( Theo's POV )

The silly car isn't starting again, I'll have to check it out soon enough. It's kind of funny how 'laeia wanted me to pick her up today - she never asks to be picked up.

I jumped out the drivers seat and swiftly moved over to the passenger side, opening the door and leaning towards the lever that pops the bonnet and flicking it upwards. Shutting the door and pacing to the bonnet to fully lift it up, I then took a look at the engine or some shit, I have no clue about cars. Dad was obsessed with the ruddy things but not once did he dare talk about them around mum. She hated them so much she'd have thrown an absolute fit if she found out dad had bought another one in secret. It's good enough they had their finances all in shape, I suppose.

I took a very optimistic guess that the car just needed another reboot - so I closed the bonnet, got back into the drivers seat and started up the ignition with my key.

Didn't start.

I try again, a bit more aggressively this time.

Yet again, no results.

Just once more, I think to myself. I turn the key and boom! We have a running car! I should probably hurry and get on the M25 if I want to be at the office for when Alaeia clocks out. Wish me luck, future me.