𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢

Mark's book blew up just in a week. It debuted as a hot topic on the news, and before Mark could even publish all of the chapters online, he got calls from publishing places. They wanted to make a printed version of his book.

All thanks to his fans who shared his work on different platforms and social media, which made other people join the fandom. The readers adored the storytelling and characters, they loved that the story had prototypes in real life. Noticing all that, Mark was sure that people would want to see if the author was writing about himself therefore, he was too nervous to come in the interviews to show his face.

All this time Mark was an anonymous writer. He had a pen name Minhyung, but no one had ever seen his face. He didn't know if he should come out of his comfort zone or not. Not only because of his anxiety but for his lover's sake too. Both of them would be at the center—too much burden and unwanted attention just because of the book.

Mark talked it out with Donghyuck and decided to keep it a secret. It was a humble way of enjoying success, giving all the spotlight to the book and not to himself and his significant other. He protected his face, name, and personal life but actively answered interviews in newspapers and magazines. Anonymously.

His salary came, and Mark was sure that his eyes almost popped. He was sooo rich even though he hadn't finished the book yet. He still had a lot of chapters to publish, but he was already getting back his steady life.

"Oh my God!" Mark yelled, he ran to his lover who had just returned from work. Hugging Dongsook, Mark almost cried. "I can buy you everything you want, my love! A new house, clothes, furniture!"

"Don't get too cocky," Dongsook chuckled as she ruffled Mark's hair. "Don't forget what happened last time. Stay humble, babe."

"You're right," Mark mumbled, realizing that even the success he got right now could be a thin layer of ice. "The higher I go, the harder I fall."

"Let's live like we're living right now, okay? At least for a while. The apartment is cozy and we love it here."

"Right!"

Mark booped their noses together. A soft action such as this always made him calm down, however, he was still too excited.

"But I want to spoil you, make you happy," he said.

"I was happy with you when you were in debt, Mark. Money is nothing. I only feel happy you're with me."

"Oh, right... my debt."

"Did you just ignore my beautiful words?"

"Sorry," Mark grinned. "It was indeed beautiful to hear."

They kissed right after they finished talking. Mark still felt the warm feeling and butterflies. Although they had been kissing for a while, the effect was still the same.

"Use your first salary for your debt," Dongsook said after a short pause. "Let's get rid of it."

﹡ ﹡ ﹡

Mark thought that paying off the debt would reduce the money he earned. He was so wrong then!

The earnings he got from his newest book grew each day. People enjoyed reading and sharing The New You—the book was everywhere! Mark saw it on the TV yesterday, and today, he spotted a poster in the bookstore window.

But not only this. All of Mark's books got noticed by a wider audience. He got more emails from the publishing offices and even signed the first paper to sell a printed version of his two other books.

After a month, he sold the books on the market. At that time, Mark had already ended publishing his bestseller as an online novel, so this book was also on its way to the print version. On top of that, Mark had already written three other novels and had too many ideas for his other works. He couldn't see an end to his success. Everything was too perfect. The writer's block seemed to be gone once and for all.

To celebrate it, he brought Donghyuck to a fancy restaurant where they ate expensive food and talked about his success.

"I knew this would happen someday," Donghyuck said after they made a toast and took a first sip of the champagne. "You're a good writer, Mark. You had to reach the top of your dream."

"You always forget to credit yourself. You were the one who encouraged me to write more. If not you, I might be working at an office right now."

"We're a great team," Donghyuck chuckled.

"We are," Mark agreed.

They then looked at each other for a whole minute. A whole minute of silence. Analyzing each other's expressions, they let themselves be absorbed by the alive atmosphere of the restaurant. It could've lasted way longer if not for Donghyuck, who snorted and drew back.

"I know we love each other, but we're kind of weird right now," he said.

"No, we're not."

"We are. What were we even seeing?"

"Do you want to know what I'm seeing?" Mark smiled, taking Donghyuck's hand into his.

"My pretty face?"

"Sure, but there's more."

Brushing his finger against Donghyuck's palm, the writer sighed and looked at his significant other in the loveliest way possible.

"Your doe, shining, divine eyes! That's what I see. I think they became Leda's twin stars for me, and I to them—the most faithful astrologer," Mark said confidently. "I can't stop looking at them, I can't stop analyzing them. Everything about your eyes is so expressive."

"That's..." Donghyuck stuttered. "That'll make me blush."

"Then blush."

"Gosh..."

Donghyuck softly blushed, and Mark couldn't be happier.

It wasn't that often that someone could be a good writer and an actual romantic. But Mark was both.

THE END

© minniemism 2022

WRITER'S BLOCK