Chapter 4 - Tested

Atif

Sometimes, you are tested.

Tested until you start becoming everything that you are not.

~tested

 'Things are getting worse than ever

 'Things are getting worse than ever. This marriage is not getting any better. Do you know what is worse than being alone? Being with somebody and still feeling alone. Aarzoo is a walking corpse at home. Weeks have passed and we barely spoke. Every time my mother calls, I make excuses and disconnect. She probably wants to see her son and daughter-in-law together. This is clearly not working for me. I think I'm getting depressed. Depression is a word that we throw out so easily now. The reason we use for having a bad day or a bad life. Or probably the excuse we use every time we fail to do something everyone else does so effortlessly. But anyone with depression knows it is much more than any word could ever describe. It almost feels like it trespasses our lives, sneaks into our lives without our consent, and grows. It grows to a point where we forget where it all started. It's quiet, insidious. I don't feel like doing anything, I am losing interest in almost everything. I'm not able to pay the best attention to my work and how would I? I have a messed-up marriage. A marriage that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I look at her and wonder what she thinks of me. Does she feel the same or is it only me? Am I the problem? People say there are beautiful colors in the world but all I can see now is black, white, and grey. My favorite place is somewhere I don't feel like visiting again. My favorite meal is tasteless. My favorite TV show is now boring. Everything around me is the same, except that everyone around me is spinning around so fast in motion while I'm sitting there in slow.' I explained to Dr. Drevis, the only friend I had.

'You need to calm down Atif' He said as he looked at me with extreme concern. 'You're a great human being. I've been working with you for almost five years now and I haven't seen anyone like you. I'm not telling you this to make you feel better or anything, but that is the truth. You're putting yourself under too much pressure for nothing' He said as he sat next to me.

'Look, I know you got married against your will but face it, now what? You're married. You have a wife back at home. Imagine what she is going through. She's left everything behind just for you. Give that a thought. Try building conversations with your wife and try to know what she is going through. Give her and your marriage a chance' He said.

He did make sense. I never thought about what she must be going through. She has left everything behind and come here with me. It must have been very difficult for her as well. I went back home trying to have a clear head. I removed the house keys from my pocket and just before I could use them, I stopped. I put it back and rang the doorbell. I wanted her to open the door for me this time. Nobody answered. I rang it again and still no answer. I reached out for the keys from my pocket and opened the door. I found her asleep on the bed and I sighed. She doesn't know what time I come back, she wouldn't even care if I come back or not. She wouldn't even know. I chuckled softly at myself.