Chapter 9 - Fear

Why does one lie?

The most common reason to lie is fear.

And just like that, one lie said out of fear changed my life forever.

I couldn't stop thinking about how he could make all that up. And for what reasons? Did he dislike me so much that he made that up only to get rid of me? A part of me couldn't forgive him for what he did. A part of me told me what else could he do. He did ask for a divorce and I overreacted thinking about everyone but us. I should've understood that sooner. But again, my heart couldn't accept that he told such a big lie only for that. It just doesn't make sense.

I tried hating him for making me feel like his heart belongs to another woman. For taking away my hope and happiness. Every cell in my body wanted to hate him but failed. I couldn't bring myself to hate this man. Why was it so difficult to hate him? Why was I drawn closer to him despite all our differences? Why do I care so much about him? Why can I not see him in pain? I asked myself. And like always. I was left without an answer.

I started spending more time with him in his ward. I had no restrictions as Dr. Drevis took charge. He had taken care of everything and I couldn't be more grateful to him. Atif had a lot of visitors. I was shocked by the number of people who came to visit him. Most of them were his patients. I couldn't believe my eyes when an eight-six-year-old woman came to see him. She held my hand with her old trembling hands and said 'Don't you worry. He's a fighter'

I smiled at her blinking away my tears and held her hand tighter. I offered her my stool to sit and she accepted. She looked at him and said 'I would've been long gone if it weren't for him'

'I didn't want to live for myself. I wanted to live for my grandson. He made that possible' she said. I got Goosebumps seeing him being so respected.

'I know I've never told you this before, but I'm proud of you' I told him as I smiled. 'I'm very proud to be your wife' I added as I held his hand gently. 'This is my first time holding your hand, I hope you don't mind'

'Now that you're sleeping and I'm here, holding your hand...I need to tell you something' I told him as tears automatically started filling my eyes. 'I don't think I can ever tell you this looking into your eyes' I exhaled.

When I was about fifteen, I got into a fight with my mother for something so silly that I don't even remember now. But my parents sent me to my aunt's place to learn discipline. They wanted to keep me away from them because...I don't really know why.

I was very scared of that aunt of mine, she used to pinch me hard and slap me across my face whenever I did something mischievous and my mother used to stand there and watch, and do nothing...

That year, summer vacation changed my life and everything in it. She had guests at her place as it was summer vacation. Her husband's side relatives and kids were there as well. A lot of new faces. I was scared to be there. She treated me like a servant serving their meals, making their beds, getting them tea, sweeping the floor. A part of me wanted to go home, but a part of me didn't want to. I wanted to leave this place but not go home. I hated my parents for sending me here and making me go through this.

There were older cousins who never failed to make me feel uncomfortable. They always had their eyes on me and tried touching me inappropriately every time they had a chance. I was always lucky enough to run away from them. But my luck didn't work one day. I don't know how I ended up in that situation.

My head was hurting and my body was in immense pain. I couldn't open my eyes. I forced them open and tried looking around. It was dark, pitch dark. I was blindfolded. I tried lifting my hands and soon enough, I realized how painful my wrists were as they were tied with my feet in a jute rope. I tried to scream in pain but couldn't, my mouth was tied up with a piece of dirty cloth with a tight knot behind my head. 'What next?' I heard a nervous male vocal. I tried looking who it was but it was impossible with my eyes blindfolded. I tried making noise for rescue. 'Shut her up' the other man spoke biting his teeth in rage.