Chapter 11 - Granted

Atif

Sometimes,

it slips out of our minds to value somebody until

they slip out of our lives.

About a week later, I got discharged. Aarzoo and I got back home. She made everything very comfortable for me to access. I was still recovering from fractures. I had major fractures in my forearm and knee that made my life difficult. It was not easy to limp around with a stick considering my height. Aarzoo never waited until I asked for help, she did everything before I even asked. I almost forgot she doesn't live here anymore. She always stayed around making sure I was okay. Right from my meals, to my meds, to tucking me to bed, she did everything for me. Peter, a nurse from the hospital, who was also a good friend of mine came home every day to cleanse me and dress my wounds. Aarzoo managed everything for me while I was only instructed to rest.

I adored her as she selflessly took care of me despite all that I did to her. I wanted to tell her everything about me as she deserved to know each bit but I could not bring myself to tell her the truth.

As I lay on the bed staring at the ceiling, I remember how I left the store with the flowers in my hand that day. I saw her face glow up with happiness. A smile slipped from my lips as there was pure joy in her smile. I wanted to drop off those flowers outside her new apartment congratulating her on her new beginning but soon everything was distorted when I was unexpectedly hit and crushed by a car. I couldn't understand if that was a dream or if it was happening in real. I was in denial until I heard the bones of my leg and arm crack. What happened next is what gave me peace, I felt Aarzoo grab me and rest my head on her lap while I laid helplessly on the road. I knew she was yelling, screaming, and crying for help but I heard nothing. The world around me was mute. She held my face and talked to me as she wept but I could only see her lips move. Am I going to die? Is this it? I constantly thought to myself. Even if I was going to die, I felt peace as she held me close to her in my last moments.
I found peace wherever we were at that moment. I didn't want to go back to the past or to the future. I wanted to stay right there. At that moment, in her arms. I was shocked to see the amount of peace her presence got me. How I wished to live a little longer so I could watch her a little longer. I saw her crying for help as I laid on her lap. Her soft hair strands fell on my face every now and then. The sky above her started getting darker and the only bright thing I could see was her. At that moment, I wanted to tell her a lot of things but I couldn't. I rather held on to her and waited to leave. I grabbed onto her clothes hoping to stay just a little longer. At that point, my heart ached more than my body did. There was so much pain that eventually left to numbness.

I was leaving without a proper goodbye. And I wondered what would she do if she discovered the truth about me. How would she feel if the Atif she knew was not indeed the person she knew? I wanted to tell her everything but I was too late.

I didn't know if I was alive, or dead. It felt like I was locked in the depths of nothingness for a while. And all I could think of while I stayed there was a chance for confrontation. A moment where I can justify my words and actions. Leaving things unsaid was weighing me down moment by moment until the moment I opened my eyes and found myself on the hospital bed.

Drevis and other nurses rushed to me and started checking me up. 'Try to move your fingers if you can hear me' Drevis said and I tried to move my fingers slowly.
'Do you recognize me?'
'Nod if you do' He added and I nodded.
'He's okay' he said as he looked at others in the room. Their faces glowed in joy.
I closed my eyes as I realized I was okay and in my hospital being treated. I sighed out of thankfulness. As I opened my eyes, I felt her presence around me. I wondered if she was real or if this was one of the lame tricks my brain plays with me. She looked feeble but the most beautiful. I couldn't resist embracing her. I was afraid I could never get to see her again. But there she was in my arm and I couldn't be more grateful.