Chapter 14 - Second Blonde Wish

Aarzoo

Wishes do come true. It's just that sometimes we don't know what we're really wishing for.

The aura in the car was not good. I knew something was not right as soon as I got in. Five minutes later, 'I don't understand, what's the necessity to work? His mother asked me in the car. I stayed still and quiet. 'Is my son not earning enough for you?' She asked a very inappropriate question. 'I'm asking something to you Aarzoo' she raised her voice at me refusing my silence in reply. I was disturbed by her behavior. She was one of my favorite aunts. She has never treated me this way. How things fast things change after marriage. I looked at Atif but he kept looking outside the window almost like he couldn't hear her at all.

'I...' I hesitated to speak.

'I want to...work for myself.' I said.

'Who will take care of the house then?' She asked. 'Who will take care of my son?' She continued.

'I'll manage' I said in a low tone trying not to sound like I was arguing.

'You'll manage' She scoffed sarcastically.

'You woke up late today. I made breakfast. And because you went out for lunch, I made the lunch. Do you want me to make the dinner too?' She asked continuing to speak sarcastically.

'You didn't care what we were going to eat for lunch and went out to have lunch with a strange man' She said in an obviously disgusting tone.

'Stop it' Atif's father said and stopped her. I clenched my fist and controlled my tears. 'Of course, you would take her side' She said to him. After what felt like forever we got back home.

~

'I'm sorry for her behavior' He apologized as soon as we got inside our room 'I know she was wrong' he added sounding very upset because of whatever happened.

'Then why didn't you say something?' I asked him.

'She's my mother Aarzoo, I can't talk to her like that' he immediately replied. I sat on the bed holding my head as it was throbbing in pain. I took a deep breath and exhaled 'Forget it, what are we going to do now?' I asked him trying not to be bothered by whatever happened in the car.

'What do you want to do?' he made my life harder with that question. 'I don't know' I told him as I buried my face in my hands. 'I'll talk to her; she won't be a problem' he told me trying to calm me down. 'Please do' I said instead of thank you.

A few seconds later I realized that he was being able to walk and my anger and worries turned into thin air. 'You can walk!' I exclaimed as I went to him. Joy filled evidently in my eyes and voice.

'I can, I guess' he said smiling.

His eyes slid to my neck and looked at my chain. My heart skipped a beat as I didn't want him to see me wearing it. He smiled and looked at me. 'What about your hand?' I asked as I tried to deviate his attention looking at his hand still draped in plaster but looking a lot better. 'It's okay' He said as he slowly tried lifting his hand. Although I didn't want him to know I was wearing his button in my chain, I expected a reaction now that he had seen it. But I was wrong. Like always, he didn't care enough.

'This is so great!' I said smiling hiding my disappointment but genuinely very happy for his recovery.

'Take care' I said.

'I will' he smiled back at me.

'I need to go home and grab a few things' I told him. 'I'll go talk to them, keep them distracted until then' he replied. 'Thank you' I said as I smiled looking into his eyes. We stared into each other's eyes until we heard his mother's voice yelling at his father for forgetting something back in India. 'I'll get that' he said as he left.