Chapter 12- Situation

Aarzoo

Have you ever been in a situation where what is happening is not right but not wrong either? 

All I could think of as I stood under the shower was why does it hurt if this is what we wanted? Atif and I mutually decided to split. I didn't want to stay in marriage either. I desperately wanted to start a new life on my own, away from him. And now when I finally can, why does it hurt? Why does it hurt so much? I couldn't believe the fact that we were not married anymore, this marriage was over. I sat down under the shower feeling numb about everything. After several minutes of feeling numb, I pulled myself together to accept my fate and move on with my life. I have always been in tough situations. Life has put me through traumas I never expected I would surpass but I did. I shall overcome this as well.

I got out of the shower in my bathrobe and wondered what to wear. I remembered something that I had and I approached the drawer to get it and placed it in my palm. A button. It was his shirt's button. I put my sleekest chain from inside the button hole making it a chain to wear. My hands stopped right in my nape and I took it down. I didn't want to do anything that made him feel otherwise about the situation. I placed it inside the drawer and closed it.

I wore the dress that was closest to my reach as I suddenly remembered Atif must've finished his exercise. I should go, what if he needs something I thought to myself and quickly got dressed and went to his place to check if he was okay.

I heard instant chatters as I unlocked the door. Was there anyone visiting? I thought to myself as I made my way to the living room. My eyes popped out of my sockets as I saw Atif's parents, who were also my aunt and uncle and also my Mother in law and father-in-law sitting on the couch on either side of Atif. I glared at Atif not knowing what to do.

'Here she comes!' Atif exclaimed. 'Why did it take so long honey?' He asked. Honey? I stood still not knowing what to answer. 'What did the doctor say?' he helped me out. I looked at the phone in my hand and immediately played along.

'He said you're okay, there's no need to worry anymore' I blabbered as I made something up. After a long moment of absolute cold silence 'Aarzoo looks like she is not happy to see us' His mother made a sarcastic joke and laughed. 'No, no not at all' I said as I greeted them, she hugged me and asked how I was doing 'I'm fine' I told them.

'Mom and Dad have come to help you take care of me in this hard time' Atif diplomatically provided me with the information. 'They couldn't hold themselves back' he added.

'Atif is not okay, you shouldn't leave him alone at home' His mother said. 'He limped all the way to the door to open it for us' she added as she caressed his cheek. 'That's okay Maa, I-' Atif started to speak but was soon interrupted by his mother. 'Why does she need to go outside the house to talk? Can't she do it inside?' She said as she was clearly irritated by the fact that I was not there to get the door.

'Where were you, beta?' his father asked me. 'We didn't see you on our way here' he enquired clearly looking confused.

'She was-'Atif started to speak again but this time interrupted by me. 'I'll make sure I don't go anywhere' I told them and decided to end the topic right away. His mother nodded and asked me to show them the guest room. I showed her the guest room and got back to Atif helping him inside his bedroom. 'What are we going to do now?' Both of us exclaimed as we didn't know what to do. 'We have to pretend like we're still married' Atif immediately said. 'Of course, I know that' I replied as that's the most obvious thing we had to do. 'How long are they going to stay?' I asked him as I started panicking. 'Did you know they were going to come?' I asked him another question. 'They did not tell me they were coming' He said being just clueless as I was.