Chapter 16- Away

Aarzoo

Have you ever been the closest to someone yet felt the farthest away?

We looked at each other without blinking. My mind rushed as I recalled that day. It was Farris who grabbed me just before falling. It was he who picked me. It was his shirt that I was grabbing. It was his heartbeat that I felt. He carried me home, placed me on the bed gently, and was gone by the time I woke up.

Before I could ask him anything, he got a phone call. 'Yes Lawrence' He told as his gaze still stuck on me.

'Umm...is it important?' He continued to talk looking away. 'Please tell him to calm down and assure him I'll be there in less than half an hour' He said walking towards the window. I looked away and exhaled not being able to cope with the reality. I wiped my hands on my jeans as they were now starting to sweat.

'I need to go' he said and picked up his bag from the table. 'Where?' I asked. 'It's work' He responded to me in a hurry and quickly typed a message to someone. 'I'm supposed to be working with you!' I reminded him as I got up from the chair.

'Not today' He said shaking his head with a serious face.

'You should go home' He said after kissing Adam's forehead while he was asleep.

He left the room while I blanked out for a while. A moment later I chased him to go with him. I informed the nurse to get to the room and keep Adam accompanied while I sprinted to catch hold of him. I saw him enter the elevator and increased my pace getting inside the elevator just before it closed. He looked at me out of astonishment and asked 'What are you doing?'

'Enough of this. I am coming with you. 'I signed the contract to work and you are not paying me for nothing!' I exclaimed as I started to get very perplexed.

'You are not doing any favor on me to pay me for free. This is now my job and I'm just doing my job' I said as I turned towards the elevator keeping a straight face before it could open.

'Fine then' He said calmly and looked forward with a straight face just as I was.

We got into his car and drove to his office. It was my first time going to his office and it was situated in a tall commercial building in Amsterdam. Someone opened the door and bowed down slightly greeting Farris and doing the same to me. It was difficult to keep up with his speed as he walked because he was very fast. I almost had to jog behind him.

We entered a cabin with a nameplate that said Farris Qadri- Family law attorney.

There were two men inside waiting for him. One of the men was formally dressed and looked like a lawyer too. I assumed he was Mr. Lawrence who was on a call with earlier and the other man was half bald, in casuals. The room was intense like they were having a very complex conversation. 'Good afternoon gentlemen' He said casually as he walked in with a cheerful smile. Both the men glanced over me out of confusion. 'Who is she?' The bald man asked as he spoke in a Dutch accent as if he was offended by my presence in that room at that time.

'She works for me' Farris said as he sat on his chair on the other side of the table and crossed his fingers. 'Tell me, how can I help you this time?' He asked him politely yet confidently.

'This is the last time I'm telling you sir, I want my children back' He said biting his teeth in anguishment. 'Well, we've told you a million times now that you can meet your children once every week, for an hour' Farris spoke. 'That's not enough!' He interrupted and banged his hand on the tabletop and stood up. Farris crossed his legs resting his back on the chair. Lawrence stood up trying to calm the man down.

'Mr. Huston, please sit down before I take the little that you have away from you' Farris said in a threatening note and the man sat back down. 'Trust me, I am not going to repeat this again, I can't help you with this. Your ex-wife has won custody of your children and we can't change that. You can meet your children for one hour, every week. This was the judgment passed by the court and like it or not, we're abiding by that' He spoke very professionally and I admired his flawless confident attitude.