Chapter 5 - Hope

Aarzoo

Hold onto hope even when it's difficult to.

No matter how tight the door is shut,

The tiniest ray of light will still find its way to you.

~hope

'What do you possibly think about yourself?' I said as I rushed outside the apartment behind him grabbing him by his sleeves and turning him around. 'If you want to end this marriage, why did you get married in the first place?'
'Leave me alone' he said calmly with his gaze down as I still grabbed his sleeve. 'Why did you get married, how hard was it to say No?' I yelled. 'Why did you choose to marry and ruin my life like it wasn't ruined enough!' I asked him as I shut my eyes tight weeping. 'I had no choice too!' he said calmly again taking his sleeve off my grip. 'I'm sorry for whatever I did back in there. I shouldn't have done that' he added still ashamed of his behavior. 'You know, I have done something more shameful than that' I said stepping back and wiping off my tears from my cheeks. 'I married you' I completed my sentence looking fearlessly into his eyes. He stayed still looking back at me emotionlessly.
'Alright then let's fix this' he said dusting his sleeve. 'You're not happy, are you?' he asked.
'Does it look like I am?' I laughed sarcastically.
'Would it make you happier if I move out?' he looked at me desperately for an answer. 'This house, yours. The car, yours. The driver, yours. I'll credit money into your account for your expenses' He said sounding legit serious. I looked back at him as my laughter faded away. I couldn't believe what he was saying. 'Does your silence mean yes?'
This man is unbelievable! 'You can do whatever you want' I responded as disappointment took over me and walked back home closing the door as he stood right there looking at me. I sat there leaning my back on the door and cried. I needed to get to the root of this. I needed to know how Atif agreed to this marriage and why. I needed to know why so desperately that I found myself looking over his wardrobe. I never touched his things as he hated that more than anything in the world. I couldn't find anything odd except a blue file. He had a patient file in his personal belongings. As far as I know, he has a separate wardrobe for his patient files and research papers. It was out of usual that he had a patient file along with his personal belongings. Just before opening the file I stopped and thought to myself, am I doing the right thing? Would it be right if I opened this file? Damn it! I opened the file and the first thing I saw was the name of the patient.
'Maheen' I heard Atif's voice from behind my head. I froze in fear. He walked closer to me and stood beside me. 'Her name is Maheen' he completed his sentence. I looked at him as I prayed for this to be a lie. 'Is there another woman?' I asked him as I refused to believe my fate.

~

I left the house, going wherever my legs were taking me as I thought about how everything suddenly started making sense. Why he had no interest and why he didn't put in any effort to make this work? Because he never wanted to. And how could he? How can one be happy with someone in a marriage when their hearts belong to someone else? It is actually relieving in a way. Makes me less guilty. I'm not the reason why this marriage is ending. This time, it's not my fault. I did what I had to irrespective of what I wanted. But this is not my fault I fought my thoughts as I sat on an empty bench. I couldn't help but recall what happened back home.