Chapter III: Snow-white dragon in a storm

A howl was heard through the sky as Lucas flew through the mountains, cheering at the thrill that was running through his veins. "Come on, Edward, loosen up!" He vociferated at his friend that was riding his dragon in a calm and very orthodox manner.

Augustus, the youngest, insisted they did this almost every day. Sometimes some races would be carried out among the three, other times they would explore, and sometimes they would just wander aimlessly. It was their favorite thing in the world; the spring breeze stroking their cheeks, the sound of the dragon wings fluttering slightly, the feeling of freedom that nothing could stop them, the smell of all the natural elements filling their lungs... It was a gratifying way to clear their heads.

Augustus swirled higher into the air with Foggy, letting go of the saddle to touch the white puffs with his hands which made a beaming smile be drawn on his face. The 22-year-old was quick to follow him, leaning forward to do a spiral upwards. The environment over the clouds was always different; it was tranquil, and untroubled. Not being loud when above the white veil was almost like a policy that everyone respected; no one wanted to disturb such serenity.

"Whoo, I'll never get over this feeling," the knight sighed after undergoing the exhilaration of dashing among the large rocks.

"Me neither. Especially if it helps me escape my 'getting married' conversations with Father."

"No one interesting yet?" Edward finally joined them, flying next to the prince.

"Definitely not. They are all the same."

"Yes, I think royalty sucks all the personality out of people," Lucas deadpanned, earning a humorous look from Augustus.

"I did meet a girl, though. The first person, apart from Father and Gabriel, to ever shout at me..."

"She shouted at you?!" Edward choked with the air itself and was even more shocked when he found out that the girl he was referring to was also the daughter of a worker.

Needless to say, Lucas was horrified; he was very strict about respecting the prince. Because he was his friend, he had a right to tease him —or so he'd tell Sebastian when telling him off— but everyone who was socially underneath him should bow and treat him courteously. He hadn't always been this proper but the last time he broke the rules, Death made sure to punish him for it.

"Her personality was quite amusing, I must say. She doesn't look like the kind of person that would spend even a minute talking about silk, so that's already a positive aspect." That statement was followed by an uncomfortable silence in which the other two shared a wide-eyed look.

"You are standing on dangerous grounds here, Little Prince."

"Yes, Gus..."

He groaned, reprimanding himself for even mentioning it. He should have known they would react that way. "Oh, come on! It's not like I'm going to marry her!"

"I don't care if you're referring to your wishes to be her husband or just be her friend. It is all just as- as... terrible-terribly seen by society..." Edward stumbled on his words, trying not to come off so harshly, which was something that Lucas clearly didn't mind doing.

"Yeah, he doesn't want to say it, but he means that Your Grace, with all due respect, will literally behead you," the other completed, a little more crudely.

"Oh, I have done a million things that he hasn't found out about. Nonetheless, I don't think she would ever be my friend; if it weren't because I am a prince, she would have probably thrown me into the mouth of an Ignismatum," he shrugged, knowing that it was probably not going to happen, no matter if he tried to be her friend or not.