Chapter V: Not friend neither foe

The prince hummed a song, his feet in the air and back on the bed, munching his bread way too many times so as to diminish his hunger and entertain himself for a bit longer. It was the fourth day he spent locked up and his sixth loaf of bread —one and a half slices per day. He was so anxious to get out that even standing under the currently pouring rain seemed like a good idea. 

"No, Dan," Lucas's voice echoed through the corridor.

Augustus chortled.

"Daniel, come-come on."

"Look, I wanna see him too, but I don't think this is gonna work," Edward now spoke. The prince could already picture him laying a hand on his shoulder with the useless hope of getting him to reason.

"Look, Daniel, we are friends..."

"You cannot pass. Orders of the king," the guard pronounced slowly and firmly, supporting Ed's words. Augustus didn't blame the knight for doing his job; he was even thankful for the most entertaining scene he had witnessed in the last couple of days.

"Daniel."

"I am not going to let you go through." He earned a huff from the youngest and an apology from the other.

As his friends left, his hopes for entertainment left too, or so he thought. After the sound of murmurs through the door, he heard the rustling of paper against the hardwood floor. His head, which had been buried into a pillow, was lifted promptly. A folded white page was right by the entrance. His legs dashed to it as soon as his eyes met it and were quick to look through the lock to check if someone apart from the guards was outside. "What the...?" He mumbled, gently opening the note to discover who it was from.

Your Not Highness Augustus,

I've heard about your lockup days. Rumors are flying like the wind. They are not bad ones, however; people actually found your adventure quite amusing, except for my father who almost locked me up too for having talked to you.

Even though we are not friends, and I am trying to avoid telling you how annoying you are because you are the prince, I still have a heart so, if you need something more than a miserable loaf of bread to survive the day, you can tell me. I will go through here in two hours, passing the guards with the excuse that I must go take something to the main closet. I will knock on the wood with my heel so you can slip a note under the door.

I am not going to lie, nonetheless, your face when Madison caught you in the kitchen was hilarious. I wish I could tell my friends all about it.

My regards,

Faylinn Langdon

"This girl..." He chuckled, quickly slipping the letter into his notebook and grabbing a pen and paper

Faylinn,

Thanks for that little contact from the outside world and thank you, even more, for not calling me "Your Highness" because I might as well have thrown up the miserable portion of bread I ate. And I appreciate your offer but, do not worry about it, I have gone through this punishment as a child and my body is used to it. I only need entertainment, for I don't know what else to do here. I have sung all the songs I know, learned how to whistle, and drawn every piece of furniture in my room... I won't starve to death, but I will bore myself to death.

Tell me more about Mr. Langdon. Is he too mad? Did you have one of those terrible conversations?

My regards,