Chapter X: Probably illegal

Another afternoon meant another overwhelming set of tasks to get done in the Exspidraco castle. The Langdon family was, as always, scattered around the property, working as fast as they could. Since the crack of dawn, Hector was bellowing orders through the kitchen and pantry, trying to keep the workers under control. Clarice, meanwhile, was sewing at the speed of light after years of practice and designing new clothing with the help of her daughter, who ran from place to place, fetching pins and cutting fabric. Elias, on the other hand, oversaw transportation, shipping barrels from the workers' area to the knights' zone. That was, definitely, the job he loathed the most.

Like every other time he had carried out that duty, he rolled it through the grass and onto the other field, hoping he wouldn't encounter Garret and Lawrence. Unluckily, it was inevitable. During that time of the day, both knights in training were on their break, and they always spent it in the same spot, which Elias had to go through.

"Well, well, well... If it isn't the peasant boy," Garret hissed, leaning against the wall with his chin held high. The worker just ignored his comment, putting his whole effort into pushing the barrel quickly. "Look, Lawrence, it's the little churl!"

"Aw, poor thing, he can't even push a little container," the named man sneered. The other snickered, his lip curling as he gestured with his head toward the 10-year-old; he had come up with what was supposed to be a great idea. "I assume we'll have to help him..."

Elias knew better. He had experienced this way too many times and so understood that the comment was nothing but trouble. Not every nobleman was noble, and these two were the perfect example.

"I don't need help, thank you," he mumbled, knowing he would receive their supposed aid anyway.

"Oh, but it's no trouble, really—" Garret started speaking gently before interrupting himself by kicking the tub vigorously. Needless to say, his friend joined him and, among the two, they were able to split the wood. The wine started to slowly spread across the ground and was absorbed by the soil. The boy's heart dropped to his stomach; that wine was probably worth more than his own life, so his father would not even hesitate to retort to his famous form of punishment. He knelt down next to the dripping container once they had ceased to beat it, uselessly trying to cover the holes. Some low profanities escaped his lips while he did so, not only because his palms were now full of splinters, but because he knew the penalty that was to come. 

 "Uh-oh, someone's in trouble," Lawrence uttered, crouched down by his side.

"Hey! You, over there!" Garret called an older worker's attention, "This foolish peasant here ruined a perfectly fine wine!" He announced, tittering scornfully before walking away with his mate.

"ELIAS!" The man roared, his deep voice making every single knight in the kingdom snap their head to look at him; Elias could feel the ground beneath him shake, so he bolted upright, nailed to the ground as he dreadingly watched the worker stomping towards him. He was not going to get away with that.

"You dalcop! Look at what you have done!" He hissed through his gritted teeth. The boy's eyes were shut closed as the muscular hand dragged his little body by his ear through the whole property and to the kitchen. Tears were already threatening to roll down his cheek; the embarrassment, the pain, and the forlorn feeling brewing inside of him panicked him.

"Hey, Langdon!" The eldest exclaimed at arrival, summoning Hector, whose heavy steps echoed through the place; with his berserk countenance, he came into view, sending a shiver down the child's spine. "Your kid just wasted five liters of perfectly good wine!"

"No, I—" He spoke up, his voice unintentionally breaking as he did so but, before he could explain, the man was grasping his wrists, forcefully placing them on the wooden table as his father took a wooden stick out of a drawer. "Papa, I promise it won't happen again just—"