Chapter XVI: Town visit - Part 1

The sun had just broken into the horizon, signaling all the Exspis to wake, when the royal family got onto the carriage. Of course, it couldn't happen without Gabriel stirring things up. The previous year, the town visit had been called off due to the eldest prince's passing so, the last time they had attended one, Rainer was there. And it was difficult for the youngest boy to let a couple of things go.

Augustus helped his mother onto the carriage, and then lifted Elliana with an "Up you go" so she could sit down too while Gabriel let himself fall onto his usual spot next to the two. The eldest, however, took his seat in front of them. The problem came because he hadn't ever sat there before; it was Rainer who always took the first row, right next to their father. Augustus knew this and wasn't exactly thrilled to be the new owner, but he had been breaking one too many rules lately, so he knew what he had to do.

Traditionally, the king and crown prince were behind the driver, in front of the rest of the family. That said, it was not delightful but most certainly logical that he would now take over half of the first row.

Short disclaimer: it was not logical in Gabriel's eyes.

"What are you doing?" He asked—no, demanded through a question for him to move—, making Augustus take a deep breath.

The sun hadn't even finished rising yet and he was already willing to start an argument. But the eldest simply raised his eyebrows in reply, expecting him to continue and get to the point. "That is not your seat," he spat.

Augustus knew exactly what he was talking about, but he wasn't going to get into a fight with him again because of such a simple thing. Besides, there was no need to upset their mother with unnecessary discussions over her dead son. "It is now, Gabriel," he replied opening his eyes wider for a moment so he would catch the signal that they shouldn't bring Rainer up.

He was not blind, he did get the message, but he didn't mind it. So, instead, he leaned forward, placing his elbows on his legs as he defiantly stared back at him with his signature dark eyes. "Move. If the spot doesn't belong to you, you don't get to sit there."

"It belongs to the heir so, right now, it is mine. Rules are rules, Gabriel."

"And brothers are still brothers even if they are dead, Augustus," he mockingly copied his sentence structure.

Inappropriate might be the word to describe his comment, but hurtful too. And even though he had just sprinkled salt onto an unhealed wound, he didn't take it back. He would never. Just like Augustus would never be able to stop the pain each time he had to take over his brother: politically, friend-wise, or even family-wise.

He just frowned, disguising his hurt with an exasperated expression, "What does that even have to do with this? Do you really think I don't know that?" He muttered through his teeth.

"Boys!" Their mother intervened but Gabriel continued without even listening.

"You don't seem to! You are doing everything he used to do! Going to meetings, sitting on his throne, and even dancing with Elliana! He was supposed to do that, not you!"

"Believe me, if I could bring him back to do all that, I would. The fact that most of his responsibilities have fallen onto me doesn't mean I'm trying to replace him, Abe—"

"Don't call me Abe!" He stood up and, for a moment, the eldest thought he was about to take a blow from him; his knuckles were even turning white. The darkness in his eyes was not new, however; that fire was lit every time he looked at him.

He understood his pain more than anyone, but he was one fight away from turning into his father; one more time and he would pin him to the wall and make himself clear. Being hurt didn't give him the right to attack. They were all grieving — from Elliana to Lucas—, yet they weren't on each other's throats all the time, reluctant to apologize.